Chapter 8: Bittersweet love and a tainted heart

On the other side of the world, Princess Zara was having a wonderful time. There was alchohol, poeple she hated and liked, her lovely fiance was no where to be seen and this was her idea of a good evening- doing what mean girls did the best, bitch about people. But the bitching in her world was quite different. You see, she had a group of select friends out of which, she trusted not many. But the ones whom she did trust were worth it. They were the best at what they did and they were well.. formidable enimies and very good allies. One of them was Princess Lais al-Faisal. One weird thing about being a royal family member was that, you were invariably related to almost every other royal family in the wolrd. Thus, she had a very large family indeed.

Lais was one of the only cousins she actually enjoyed spending time with. She was more than just the iddle beautiful Arabic girl hidden behind a viel. No, she had personality, loads of it as well. Lais was the typical defination of a modern woman. Her father wanted her to marry one of his cousins and she ran away from home to avoid it. Growing up, when her brothers tried to bully her, she beat them up. She did what she liked, when she liked. Thus, she was highly unpopualr with the men of the Arabic community but was the voice of the women. By the way, she stopped wearing a viel at the age of 7 and wears what ever she likes.

Zara walked up to her and embraced her with a grin. Today, she was wearing a short cherry red low V cut Dolce & Gabanna dress with a pair of black Versace pumps and a black leather Chanel clutch. Her hair was open and the Arabic men in the room were looking away. She looked like any modern western woman except, she had the exotic flair of Arabia, making her simply irresistable. Zara had already seen a number of men's gazes linger on her for far too long.

"Someone's looking hot" said Zara with a grin.

"Oh please, I knew that when I chose this dress. By the way, I am looking right at her" she replied, matching the grin.

Both of them then laughed, making many heads turn. These were two perfectly gorgeous women.. no goddesses. Both of them never and laughed and the both of them constantly looked stoic. But together, they transformed into something no one could resist. Men stared while women glared. Soon, every man was begging for their hands to dance but the both of them simply refused. They were the best of the best and expected their parter to match their class as well. So, they would wait.

Getting bored of waiting, they began to talk about petty little things in their lives. Who broke up with whom, who bought what, who moved where, that kind of old wives talk. That was until, Zara spotted something or someone that she never should have seen. She saw Luke. Luke Theresa, the heir of the Theresa group of companies, one of the largest companies in the world, with their fingers in every single industry's very core. Yes, it was one of the best industries of the world and of history as well. Luke was the financial director as of now and his father as always was the CEO. His mother, the CFO ensured that her son excell at finance and that is why, he was the finance director.

Slowly but surely, Lais' gaze too fell on the promiscuous blonde who now, was sorounded by fake barbies, trying to laugh at whatever he said.

"What is he doing here?" Zara asked coldly, glarring daggers at him.

"I don't know. Maybe they invited him?" answered Laisstupidly, she didn't want to agrevate Zara's already worsening temper.

"Isn't that obvious" she replied, coldly.

Yes, this party would be the unfortunate subjects to Princess Zara's infamous temper.Only moments later, she strutted over to a very surprized Luke and pulled him out. Lais, terrified of what might happen next, followed.

"What are you doing here?" she demanded coldly.

"No hello after seeing a friend for 6 years?" he replied with a smirk.

Bad idea, thought Lais silently.

"Kill the jokes and get to the point" she almost hissed this time.

"Okay.. jeez, chill out would you? I am here because I was invited. You know Bella's brother Michel is my neighbour right?" he asked with a smirk.

Did this guy want to die, Lais thought again..silently.

"Chill out? You want me to chill out?" hissed Zara, her eyes narrowing.

And there it was, Lais, now quiet with fear thought.

"It would be nice.." retorted Luke with a grin.

"You tore my sister's heart out. She came to you because she thought she could trust you. She came to you in her weakest time and you abandoned her just like that. You said you were in love with her. You just loved the money and power didn't you? You are pathetic you know that? Thank God Adrian was there! She could have died and you did nothing and you dare to show your face to me?" she hissed as his face became serious and Lais turned pale white.

This was bad. Very bad, thought Lais, now slightly shivering. When Zara was angry, she was unpredictable.

"I didn't abandon her. She left me. She said it was for the good of everyone. If you-" he started seriously.

"If I what Luke? You're back to your old ways. You said it was gone, you said she changed you but she obviously didn't" replied Zara.

"I'm back to my old ways because I don't have her!" he said, a little too loudly, making everyone in the ballroom stop and stare at them.

"Then why didn't you go after her?" she aksed, raising her voice.

"Damn it because I love her! I get it! I get it that the dude she was engaged to was bad but Adrian's better than me. He's more stable. He loves her and she loves him. They have a future together. The only thing she's going to get out of being with me is disappoinment and the both of us know that" he replied, matching the tone of her voice.

"They're rehersing for a play" Lais quickly replied with a grin.

Rehersing for a play, wow. That was an amazing cover up. So unpredictable, so frehs and so new, thought Lais silently, facing the crowd.

By now, the two turned to face their unwanted audience. Both of them felt some what embaressed now.

"Now if you'll excuse me, I have a board meeting to get to" replied Luke, walking out of the door of the grand ballroom and disappearing for the night.

Zara mumbled something which sounded like an appology and left as well. Lais was left all alone. For the first time in her life, Princess Lais al-Faisal, the fearless Minister of Foreign Affairs of Saudi Arabia felt akward.

"So.. anyone want to dance?" she asked with a hopeful grin as the audience began to whsiper.

Well, that was.. interesting, she thought, sipping her champange.

----

Please vote, comment and review and help me decide what should happen next.

What should be done?

More on Luke

Introduction of Cecelia Walters