Logan's Audition (Pt. 3)

TW: Cursing, Food Mention, Alcohol Mention

I love looking up covers for this

*~*

"Hello, I'd like to try out for the Several Sides band, if I'm not too late." The stranger asked, taking a pair of drumsticks from a pocket on the side of his backpack.

"Oh! Of course, of course! Just give us a moment, the drums are inside the garage if that's alright." Patton said from inside the garage, carrying a lawn chair. Roman gestured for Logan and Virgil to follow him. Logan looked to Virgil who looked back at him and shrugged with a smile, walking over to Roman.

"I'm Roman, this is," Roman moved his hand toward Virgil who smiled awkwardly.

"I'm Virgil," Virgil extended his hand to Logan who shook it in return.

"Logan."

"Well now that most of us- Patton- have introduced ourselves. I wish you good luck."

Patton put down the chair and Roman snagged the ones from the table, dragging them over to the space in front of the drum set. Logan shuffled in slightly awkwardly, having to bend down to get under the garage door.

"I'm going to have to adjust the seat if that's alright with you," Logan said, taking off his backpack and clacking his drumsticks together.

"Feel free, Roman's the only one that really uses the drums." Patton said. Virgil chuckled and looked at Roman.

"What?" Roman asked.

"You're so short."

"You're shorter than me!"

"And?"

"Hey, hey, it's literally been less than an hour since Virgil has joined, stop," Patton tutted, rolling his eyes as Virgil and Roman started laughing; even Logan chuckled a bit.

*~*

After a few minutes and some casual conversation, Logan had finally finished setting up. He had to move the seat quite a bit but no one minded.

Virgil had taken out his guitar a second time during the break and tuned his guitar a bit saying "I'm going over to my friend's place and I'm teaching his son how to play." Patton thought that was sweet.

Logan had thumped the foot pedal down a bit, adjusting it and confusing Roman in the process.

"Why'd you change the position?"

"You had it too far away to actually hit the drum."

"What?!" Roman exclaimed, earning a small chuckle from the rest of the boys. Logan made a few more comments on how the drum set was set up, shocking Roman with the fact that he completely messed up placing a drum. Patton had to put them back on track.

"Okay so, Logan, what're you gonna play?" Patton asked, holding a clipboard and pencil. Roman cracked a small joke to him about Patton looking like an inspector; Patton elbowed him.

"I actually wanted to know if you wanted a specific song. I do have a song picked if you don't have a preference," Logan offered, gesturing his sticks to the group in front of him. Roman looked to Virgil.

"You're new, why don't you choose something? You don't have to though, of course." Roman said, quickly backpedaling when Patton kicked his foot slightly.

"Oh uh, sure. Um, do you know Numb by Linkin Park?" Virgil asked, looking Logan in the eye. Logan nodded and thought for a moment, rolling up his sleeves.

"Yes I do believe I know that one. Just give me a moment, it's been a while." Logan tapped the drumsticks against the different drums and closed his eyes taking a deep breath. Roman and Patton leaned forward to listen to him play; Virgil backed up a bit.

The opening drums were loud, making Roman and Patton flinch back. Virgil watched, impressed as Logan rocked out, as if he was listening to the song in his own head. Roman looked at Patton, who looked at Virgil. Virgil was singing the words under his breath and nodding his head along to the beat.

Logan opened his eyes at a pause and locked them with Virgil, then smirked before getting right back into it. Logan hit the crash one last time with a smile on his face, his sleeves rolling down slightly. Virgil paused and slowly nodded, clapping quietly. Roman and Patton joined in clapping and Patton looked at Roman.

"In?" Patton asked.

"In." Roman looked to Logan with a smile. "Oh yeah, you're in."

Logan smiled and panted a bit, leaning his elbows on his knees. Roman stood up and got Logan some water, handing the cup to him quickly.

"Sorry, I'm just... It's been a bit. I forgot how enjoyable that was," Logan laughed out.

"Well for someone that hasn't played for a bit, that was really good," Virgil commented. Patton wrote down a few things onto his clipboard. Roman, Logan, and Virgil started chatting idly, Patton joining in a few minutes later.

"Do you maybe want to go grab some drinks?"

*~*

To say I hate how I wrote this chapter would be an understatement. The past two chapters haven't been written well but hey, a bitch gotta do what they gotta do to move the story.

Have a great day/afternoon/night! Stay safe out there!