Virgil's Audition (Ch.2)

TW: Cursing, Very Mild Anxiety, Brief Unprovoked Yell, Character Momentarily Overwhelmed

You can play the song above at any time or not at all, there's no song sequence, it's just a part of the chapter.

*~*

Patton tapped his pen against the cheap material of the foldable table he and Roman were sitting at. Roman looked a bit nervous, glancing around the small street in front of them which was empty aside from a couple who was unloading groceries. Roman let out a frustrated yell and threw his head back.

"It's been thirty minuets and no one has shown, maybe we should just make a Craigslist-" Roman started, only to get cut off by a guy hauling ass to their table with a guitar case. Paton sat up straight and Roman looked forward to access the dude.

"Hi, I'm so sorry I'm late! I couldn't get time off and my work is like two hours away." The guy said, walking up to the table and looking between Roman and Patton. He wore black ripped jeans, black combat boots, and an open hoodie with sewn purple patches. The shirt underneath was a Nightmare Before Christmas illustration that Roman was very interested in.

"Hello! Thanks for coming, it's no problem that you're late. I'm Patton and this is Roman," Roman waved, "What's your name and what do you play?" Patton asked, fixing the collar of his shirt.

"The name is Virgil, I play guitar." Virgil said, putting down his case and taking out a gray guitar with stickers on it.

"Sweet! What song are you playing?" Roman asked, leaning forward on his elbows. Virgil strummed his guitar to make sure it was tuned. Virgil started to play a few notes, strumming a repeating melody.

"I don't know, what are you looking for? Rock, pop, something slow? Throw out a genre, and I'll improvise," Virgil tuned the guitar back and looked back up. Roman looked to Patton and Patton looked back. They had a short silent conversation. Virgil shifted from foot to foot waiting for a response and looked down at the floor.

"Could you do a slow rock song? Maybe a little pop rock? It can be original or something already written, whichever you want, it's really up to you." Patton hummed, leaning forward.

Virgil nodded and coughed a bit and started strumming, adjusting his machine heads to reach the right chord. He took in a deep breath, Patton and Roman instinctively leaning forward to hear the soft strumming.

Virgil started to play the opening notes to 'Behind Blue Eyes'', humming the lyrics as quietly as he could as the volume of the guitar rose gradually and his confidence rose. Roman looked at Virgil, impressed by the delicate manner that he was strumming. Patton watched his fingers glide carefully across the strings. Quickly, as fast as the song came, it faded quietly out, leaving them in silence.

Virgil looked up slowly from his guitar and anxiously looked up to where Patton and Roman were looking at him starry-eyed. Virgil smiled awkwardly and held his guitar on his side.

"So uh, did I get a callback?" Virgil asked. Roman shot up excitedly and smiled.

"You're in!"

"What?" Virgil asked, speechless. Patton nodded excitedly and picked up a piece of paper, extending it out to Virgil who took it with wide eyes.

"I- Wow, okay, sweet. Sorry if my reaction isn't uh, there, I'm just a bit overwhelmed, sorry," Virgil said laughing and putting down his guitar to run his hand through his hair. Patton's smile softened a bit and he leaned over to Roman.

"Can you go get them a cup of water?" Patton asked, standing up and walking over to Virgil, who was at this point on the floor putting away his guitar; even though he was totally using it as an excuse to sit down.

"Hey are you okay? I know you're kinda overwhelmed," Patton said, kneeling next to Virgil. Virgil nodded and looked up with a smile. Patton looked at his guitar and admired it up close. "Your guitar is really pretty."

Virgil smiled and nodded a thank you. Roman walked over with a cup of water and kneeled down in front of Virgil, offering it to him. Virgil carefully took the cup and slowly it drank it.

"So, do you want to stay here and work stuff out for your part in the band, or take the paper home?" Roman asked, sitting down and tapping lightly on the road below.

"Could I just stay here and fill it out? I might get confused and mess it up," Virgil laughed, rubbing the back of his neck. Patton and Roman nodded and stood up, helping Virgil stand up as well.

"I'll go get you a chair." Patton said, walking away while Roman and Virgil started talking about Virgil's shirt.

Another guy walked up with a backpack, his shoes stomping slightly on the ground.

"Hello, I'd like to try out for the Several Sides band, if I'm not too late."

*~*

Oh we're in for it. Here we go with a mad drum solo, oh shit. I hope you're liking it so far. I'm just trying to set everything up right now so hopefully it'll be better in the future. Sorry for the short chapter.

Have a great day/afternoon/night y'all! Stay safe out there!