To a New Life!

Here goes nothing! I apologize if it is really bad, I have never really done anything like this. :D 

(Today was the day... Today was the day in which I was leaving my home in America and heading to my father's new duty station in Japan. Of course, one would assume that I would be upset due to this move... But I was not. I had always struggled to make friends since I started school four years ago at the age of 5. This was simply due to my inability to speak with strangers as I was a very shy individual. Rather than making friends I remained to myself. This does not necessarily mean I did not have any hobbies as I played sports year-round and excelled, I just did not build much of a connection with my teammates and this quickly created an image that I was a stuck up spoiled brat who thought I was better than everyone else. Nevertheless, this is my chance to start over and make some friends. I pull my clothes out that my mom set aside for our travels today and get ready for the day.)

(I hear my mom yell from downstairs)

Mom: "Sweetie! It is time to leave, dad and I will be waiting in the car. Remember we still need to drop the keys off on post before we head to the airport!"

(I walk towards my door and look towards downstairs and reply)

You: "Okay mom, I am coming down now!"

(I give one look back to the room that I have lived in since I was born... Although it is now empty many memories rush into my mind. I then turn and head downstairs and out to the car where I get in and buckle up. After that I look up and see my parents both turned staring back at me frowning.)

Dad: "Son, I am so sorry that we are forced to move because of my work in the military... Unfortunately, it is just part of the job. But hey I am sure you will make some new friends out there!"

(I think to myself)

Your thoughts: "New friends huh? As if I had any... I guess his work really does keep him so busy that he never noticed."

(I shake off my thought and give a reassuring smile back to him and nod my head to reinforce that I am optimistic about the move. Suddenly, a growl can be heard throughout the car and I look down at my stomach. I hear a chuckle from my parents in the front seat.)

Dad: "Don't worry bud, we will be grabbing some good American food before we hit the airport. If you could eat at one place where would it be? Some of these places will not be in Japan, so choose wisely pal!"

(I sat and contemplated for a few minutes, after a few moments of trying to think of a place, my dad's favorite place to eat popped in my head. It was a small burger restaurant that could only be around where I currently lived. I was not the biggest fan, but I knew my dad loved it and I am sure he is going to miss it a lot)

You: "How about Tom's dad? I am sure it is one of those places that we won't be able to find in Japan..."

(My dad looked in his rear-view mirror and I could see what looked to be tears in his eyes and a big stupid smile on his face. He then looked over at my mom and squeezed her hand as they held hands.)

Dad: "We really have done a wonderful job raising him... Even though he has never cared much for the place he decided to go eat there because he knows how much I love it."

(My mom returns a smile at him and then looks back to me and flashes her own proud smile.)

-Time Skip-

(We dropped our house keys off back at the military base that we lived on, and we grabbed food from my dad's favorite place. We finally boarded the plane to Japan, and I hear the pilot's voice come over the intercom.)