CHAPTER SIX

From a far distance, Wendy could see the crime scene barricated with yellow ropes which had the inscription "warning" on them. There were police officers, and investigators examining the scene. She saw Mr. Jones discussing with some individuals, she decided against going to meet him so as not to cause distractions. Mr. Ronald body was already taken away from the crime scene while the car where he died was  inspected. Approaching the car, Wendy saw a knife close to the tyre of the car, a drop of blood at its sharp edge. She looked around to check if anyone was looking at her. Satisfied, she threw her phone to the car and bent to pick it up alongside the knife which she used a new handkerchief to pick.

" I can see you are very observant. None of those crooked investigators even saw this" a voice behind her said.

"Oh!, Mr Jones, how was your weekend" she asked startled.

"Better than yours, I think" he said.

"Considering the fact that you decided not to show up for the past weeks. I never knew you to be so negligent" he continued.

" I'm sorry. I promise to make it up to you" Wendy said.

"You better do. And next time you need an item for investigation, consider going through the necessary processes instead of stealing it" he said as he walks away.

"Well noted sir" Wendy calls after him.

*                 *                 *                 *

“Are you saying that you don't recognise this man?" Wendy asked for the umpteenth time.     
Wendy had shown Ms. Mavin a picture of Mr. Ronald since it was an obvious information that Mr. Ronald had visited the restaurant before his death.

"Please, think about this! You are doing this state a great good  if you tell me all you know. You don't know who the next victim may be."

"Don't be afraid please,  I'll definitely not take you the prison" she added jokingly.

Ms. Mavin's knew that most of the times, individuals who give so much information may be regarded as a suspect and maybe the wanted criminal on the long run. She just wanted to avoid trouble, but with Wendy, she felt she could be trusted.

"Ok, I'll tell you all I know. But pls , don't quote me" she said.

"Thanks. No problem" came the reply.

Yesterday, Mr. Ronald and his partner caught my attention. This was because they were both looking different. The partner was putting on colourful clothes and smiles at any instant, while Mr. Ronald was looking indifferent. My boredom state caused me to eavesdrop a little before my attention was caught by something else."

"So, did you hear their conversations?" Wendy asked.

"Well, only a little"

"I didn't quite understand. The man with whom Mr. Ronald was with was asking him to keep a secret even if he wouldn't be involved. And Mr. Ronald hurriedly said that he would"
"That was all I could hear before I was distracted by a customer who was arguing with one of my employees" she said.

"So, can you describe the man that came with Mr. Ronald, the partner?

"Well, he's big, tall, and laughs a lot"
" And I have never seen him before but for yesterday"

"Ummmm. What about his skin colour. Is he black,  white, brown?

"I would say he is fair" Ms. Mavin's said.

Wendy phone rang at that instant. She was unsure whether to answer it or not. Since it was an unknown number, she decided against it.

"Sorry for that. So as I was saying , do you have any clearer description I could work with?"

"Actually, I was or better still, I am an artist. I used to be a professional artist but since the profession wasn't going well for me I decided to invest more in the food busy. So I think I could draw a sketch of the man for you if you want it."

"Of course, I do."

"I would love that. Please do that for me.
"Do your best and surely, you will be rewarded". She said as the call came again.

"Wendy Agu on the line, pls who I'm I speaking with?" She asked.

"This is Mr. Moore. I have an important document I want to give you. It reached my notice that late Mr. Ronald wanted you to have this" the caller said.

" What document if I may ask?"

"The document is in relation to the autopsy Mr. Ronald carried out on the previous victims of the devil. That's how far I can go"  he replied.

"We have to meet urgently if you are still interested in the document" he continued.

"Venue" Wendy asked.

"I'll text the address" he said as he hung up.

"Pfff" Wendy said.

"Ma,pls mange this for now. Your info was really useful"
Wendy said offering her a sum of ten thousand naira.
Ms. Mavin's refused to collect the money offered her but collected it as a result of Wendy's persistence.

"I'll be back for the artwork same time next week.
"Pls put your best to this" Wendy said as she took her leave.