CHAPTER TEN

Stephanie made Michael accompany her to the notable Kirikiri prison in Apapa, Lagos. It was where the convincted rapist of the 411 case was taken to after he was found guilty. Michael had refused saying that it wasn't in his position to accompany her to such a place.

"At least, you could have asked Charles to" he had said.

Stephanie thought he was just being  lazy, very "Michaelish"

She knew she had to get  there because she needed to get her confirmations right. She had to ask  questions and discover to the truth.

They were directed to the visitors corner while the guard went ahead to get the prisoner. Stephenie looked around. The place smelled of  a combination of perfume, sweat and grass. She thought the place was not so bad as she had imagined. The area was tagged the Maximum Security Prison. She watched as two jailers brought in a man. He was slender, and has a sunken eyes. He looked like he was in his late twenties but the huge mustache around  his jaw region convinced her against that notion. He sat down while maintaining a steady eye contact with Stephanie. She was forced to break it.

"He looks intimidating and may have committed the crime afterall". She thought

" What do you want" The man asked breaking the silence.

Stephenie went ahead to introduce herself and her colleague to the man who introduced himself as Victor.

"We just came to ask you some questions if you don't mind" She said rubbing her palms together.

"Did you commit the crime which you were acquitted for?"

"And how does that matter" he replied.

"Pardon" she asked

"I said how does that matter
It doesn't matter to me, so it shouldn't matter to you".

"Pls we need your honest reply. I know you may be hurt because you were falsely accussed"

"Due to some recent happenings, we know the killer is still on move. Now, how were you brought to this mess" she asked.

"For me, I believe the investigators were probably tired of the stress and that was why they decided to label  any scapegoat, I,  in this instance the 411 rapist".

"It all happened this way".  He started his story.

"I was in a cult group together with four other friends of mine making it five. But there was this lady who was always disturbing us that she wants to join. We told her to forget it that as a lady to join the cult group was not an easy task but she insisted until we could take it no more. The process of initiaton was that all  the guys in the cult group had to lay with her before we go further to initiate her and she agreed"

"We chose a particular venue, a secluded place. The other guys did it and she was tired. We warned her to just let go but she said she must finish what she had started. So when I went into her, that was when a man and some other officials came. My friends and this lady took to their heels while an officer dragged me away. I tried explaining to him but he ignored it".

"I was accussed of multiple rape charges and murder which I know nothing of. The lady to whom we did this is still alive, she wanted to act as a witness but they threatened he about it saying it was  stupid thing to do.

"Na so I take dey here o" he concluded in vernacular.

"So, an innocent man was convincted?" She said turning to face Michael

"I mean, who handled the case" she asked bewildered.

"Wendy" came the reply.

"Oh" she said in acknowledgement.

"Thanks so much for the info"
"Get ready, we'll get you out soon. She said with reassurance to Victor.

"I don't want to leave yet"

"Why" Michael asked surprise

"Abeg no need. The place where I dey for this prison be Maximum security and dem dey teach us plenty things. When my term finish for jail, I go come out and continue"

Stephenie was surprised at the smooth way he switched from standard English to the one Nigerians termed broken English.

"How many terms where you given"?

"Two" he replied

"Two"

"Yes".

"Officer, I don finish here".
Victor said as he motioned to the prison warders to take him away.

Stephenie wondered  how two years should be a jail term for someone found guilty of rape. Though in Victor, the prisoner's case, it was quite favourable because he didn't commit the crime. How about the people that truly committed the crime. Would that be enough jail term for a guilty person?

The conversation she had with Victor and her personal investigations had been an eye opener to her. Stephenie decided to see the press as soon as possible. As behavioural profilers , their duties were to provide profiles that would let  observers recognise behaviour and help identify an UNSUB. So far, Stephenie believes they have up to 90% description of the devil.

So what do you think the killer would be feeling when you tell this to the press" Michael asked

"Stress" she started

"None of it having to do with guilt of remorse but of the possibility of discovery and apprehension. The devil will try all means to cover all his tracks and probably to make another person guilty of his son just as he had done to Victor.

"We have to set a trap". She concluded.

Yo, guys! This is the part you start to guess who the devil is👹
Don't forget to like, share and comment

Xoxo😍