VIII - Not You

Roses are red,

Violets are blue,

Something is glowing,

And it sure ain't you

Harvey has had his award winning smile on full blast from the moment she stepped out of the bathroom in the clothes that he picked. A line satin dress that sits just below her mid thigh, hugging every inch of her body like a glove.

"Damn Joy any sexier and I'll be in love again" she recoils at the name "come on, I don't have all day"

Ten minutes of sitting at the table has Joy crawling for freedom. She can't possibly be sitting at the table in the middle of a restaurant with people all around her and still not try to escape her prisoner.

But here she sat with her hand on her knees and the most plastic smile known to man adorn on her face. Harvey does what he does best. Taking control of the situation and orders for the both of them.

"Salad for the lady and mildly cooked steak along with your best bottle" The food came but her appetite didn't. "I didn't waste my money getting you food to just stare at" he clicks his form and knife together

"Why did you call me Joy?" he drops his cutlery and folds his arms defensively

"Is that not your name"

"My name is MaryAnn" she declares

"So? Joy, MaryAnn same shit" he dismisses the topic and goes back to his steak buts he remains frozen staring him down "The fuck you want me to do woman. Eat your damn meal before I loose my shit on your ass"

"I am sorry daddy, I promise to be a good girl" she

"You damn right should be. Start off by cleaning the plate" she does as she is told

The waiter returns to take their plate away and to bring the desserts that Harvey ordered. Harvey wastes no time finishing everything presented to him where as MaryAnn takes her time with each serving being as articulate as one would be when having their last meal.

"How would you be paying?" one look at the bill has Harvey stuttering. He passes the bill to MaryAnn and excuses himself to go to the washroom

"Ummm I have no money on me sir but daddy will pay when he comes back." she nervously tells him

Seconds turn to minutes.

Minutes turn to an hour.

One long hour of her sitting in the managers office waiting for him to return from the washroom has her doing what she swore never to do. She prayed and sincerely this time.

"I am sorry sir, but I will do anything to make it up to you. I am begging you"

"I can't do anything to help you because your bill is almost $500.00 lady. You have no cash or ID on you. You haven't made this easy on me and as I told you, the only one who can decide is the owner and I'd choose jail over that man any day" the waiter says twirling a toothpick around his fingers

Oh dear god. MaryAnn thinks to herself. Now would be a good time for you to be in control

Heavy steps are heard from the entrance of the hallway to the office where MaryAnn and the waiter are currently waiting.

"Ohoh boss is here, say your last prayers lady" he straightens up and tucks the toothpick behind his ear "I-I'll-take me back"

"We have got to stop meeting like this" MaryAnn inhales sharply in shock "there's a bug heading your way" her mouth snaps closed

"I have to go. I'm sorry" she rushes to the door

"No no sit back down" he pushes her back into the seat "Martin bring me a bottle of Chateau Bellevue Bordeaux with two wine glasses and tell the chef to bring it to the roof with some desert"

Ivan succeeds in getting her to the roof where a table is set "I can't be here Mr Ivan. Daddy does not like it when I stay out too long"

Ivan's head turns immediately to look down at the miniature woman "Daddy?" panic floods through her like a tidal wave when they link sights

She shakes her head nervously and turns to look at the view. Dark sky coloured with twinkling lights and buildings competing for a chance to touch the sky

"Beautiful isn't it?"

Looking up at the sky brought back Joy "yes, it is" Harvey leans down to her 5'6 height

"Harvey really doesn't know what he has" she looks up at him towering over her "I know your worth"

"Like I know your game plan" she interrupts "woo the girl, get her to spread eagle on your bed, and dispose of her. I know everything there is to know about men like you"

"Careful baby, I might fall in love with your smart mouth" he winks just as the meal arrives and they settle down

Dinner was everything that she has ever wanted and this was giving joy more energy to stay on the surface as MaryAnn hides in the back of her mind complaining about everything from the taste of the expensive wine to the sexual tension hovering over them.

"What is an educated woman such as yourself settling for a man as under qualified as Houston?"

" I am not educated"

"Your birth name is Joyana Steele but you had it changed to MaryAnn. You graduated from the University of Toronto two years ago with a PHD in biochemical engineering, worked at a edulis restaurant for three months and that's where you met good ol Harvey. Since then you have dropped off the grid for almost a year. Did I miss anything?"

"What?!" she screeches at him "How do you know so much about me?!"

"I'm known to do extensive research into all my investments"