P R O L O G U E

It was a freezing night in New York City. Caroline pulled the jacket closer to protect her from the breeze. Caroline was used to walking alone in the cold. For some reason, she really loved the winter. Her walk from the diner where she worked as a waitress, was around 20 minutes far from her apartment. Since it was late at night; she wanted to reach her apartment quickly. She took the shortcut which was through an alleyway.

On her way, Caroline heard someone talking, really loud. Just like every curious and impulsive teenager, she thought it was a smart decision to go and check out the conversation. So, she crouched and hid behind a dumpster.

She saw two men talking, arguing actually. One of them looked really rich based on his clothes and accessories, while the other just looked like a cop. Their fight escalated. They started pushing each other. And then the cop removed something from his pocket. The object glimmered in the light. It took a while for her to realize what it was. It was a gun!  The police officer jabbed the gun in the other's stomach and shot him. The wounded man screamed and clutched his stomach in pain.  

Her eyes widened, knees wobbled and she gasped silently. It was now that her stupid brain started to work.

She took the support of the wall behind her and got on her feet. She ran from there, stumbling a few times and scraping off the knee. She must have run for about ten to twelve feet when she heard a shot reverberate behind her once again.

She ran as fast as she could, looking over her shoulder from time to time. She felt a sense of comfort and security when she reached a shabby building. Not bothering to wait for the elevator, she took the stair and ran to her apartment, 4D. She quickly took out the keys from the pocket and opened the door almost breaking it down. As she entered her apartment, she locked the door as soon as she could and leaned against the door. The adrenaline slowly wore off and Caroline started to feel the pain from her knee. Her eyes started to feel heavy and she fell asleep.