C H A P T E R - 2

Previously on The Eye Witness,

She entered the building and went straight to her locker, it was neatly maintained without any personal touch. After collecting her books for the day, Caroline was on her way to her first class, English.

***

Aside from working as a waitress, Caroline also worked as a babysitter for a wealthy couple, Mrs. & Mr Booth. Mr Booth was a successful businessman whereas Mrs Booth was a wedding planner. The Booth family has been generous to her. They had helped a lot- financially. Caroline had been thankful to them.

After her school was over, Caroline did not waste any time in school. She left as soon as the bell rang. She did not have any social life as such, just two or three classmates she knew. Caroline was on the waited at the bus stop. When the bus arrived and she got on the bus and paid money for the ticket. She sat next to the window and stared out of the window mindlessly, while listening music.

She got off the bus at Osmond Valley and walked to their house. The Booths had a daughter of 2 years old, Angela. She was the cutest child. Spending time with her must have been the only time when Caroline was smiling.

Caroline rang the bell and waited. The door was opened by Martha with a wide grin on her face. She was the maid-slash-cook of the house.

Martha asked Caroline about her day. Caroline gave her a shrug. Caroline asked about the family. Martha replied that Mrs and Mr Booth were not home yet and Angela was in her room. Caroline acknowledged her by giving her a nod and went to Angela's room and saw her colouring.

Angela squealed and ran to Caroline when she saw her. Caroline picked her up and hugged her. Angela pulled Caroline's arm toward her bed signalling her to come and colour her books.They coloured for some time and later Caroline gave Angela her dinner.

After feeding Angela, Caroline put Angela to bed at half-past seven. The Booths wanted everything to be on time. Mrs Booth had instructed Caroline to wait until she was home.

Caroline figured that she could do her homework by then. While she was completing it, She saw Martha turning the television on. Martha switched to a news channel and Caroline was listening to it absent-mindedly.

The news reporter was talking about the man from yesterday, near her diner. Now, she had Caroline's complete attention. She was so busy watching the news that she did not notice someone behind her until they placed their hand on her shoulder, making her jump.