Chapter Four - Hold On

The first day of school jumps out of nowhere. I'm being woken up earlier than anyone should and grumpy isn't the word for how I feel.

"Val ... come on get up."

My mom is standing over me shaking me softly. "Go away," I say.

"Please Val ..."

"Mom, back up," I hear Carmen say.

"Is that necessary?"

The next thing I know ice cold water is dumped all over me. I scream jumping out of bed. Carmen is holding an empty pitcher and trying not to laugh.

"What the hell," I say.

"Language," mom warns.

"Well, you weren't getting up. You have school in thirty minutes."

"So you dump cold water on me," I growl out.

She shrugs. "Clocks ticking."

She walks out of the room and mom gives me a sympathetic smile and follows her out. I look over at my soaking wet bed. I groan loudly. What a way to start the morning.

I take my time getting ready just to spite Carmen. I make it downstairs and she's waiting by the door.

"Nice of you to finally join us."

I stick up my middle finger. "Real mature."

"Girls." My mom meets us by the door.

She hugs me and kisses my cheeks. "Have a good day."

I give her a look but she doesn't respond. "Let's go," Carmen says.

We leave the house and mom closes the door behind us. "She's trying you know," Carmen says.

I stick my hands in my pocket, "I know."

We walk in silence the rest of the way. Carmen doesn't stop until we're right at the steps leading up to the front door. "Good luck," she says.

I nod. "Are you going to be here when school ends?"

She nods, "Yeah, I'll meet you right here."

"Okay."

I turn away and walk up the steps. Thanks to Nadine I don't have trouble navigating at all. The halls are empty since I'm late. My first period was math. I walk up to the closed door and hesitate. I could always just leave.

But then I knock.

The door opens and a tall man is standing on the other side. He has thick glasses perched on the bridge of his nose. "Good morning, are you Valentina?"

I nod. He steps back and allows me in the classroom. As soon as I step in all eyes are on me. I find the nearest seat and keep my head down. The teacher resumes instruction. I unconsciously look around trying to find Nadine but don't see her.

"Hey."

I look to the person in front of me and see Karlie. "Hey," I respond.

"I haven't seen you around much. It's cool that we have class together."

"Yeah."

"Well, if you ever need help you can ask me. I'm good in math."

I nod, "Thanks."

She turns around. The rest of class gets tuned out. The bell finally rings and I'm pushed into the crowd of students filing out of class and into the halls. The halls weren't super crowded but since I was short it was hard for me to see over people.