Chapter Eight - Halloween

The week continued with a bunch of other corny competitions and festivities. We somehow won two more. Nobody knew what the big prize was but we had a good chance of getting it.

It was now Saturday. Halloween was here and the town couldn't be more in the spirit. There was a pumpkin on almost every doorstep and the houses were decorated like nobody's business.

We even put cobwebs in our trees and put up cardboard ghost. Karlie, Nadine, the boys and I went costume shopping yesterday after school. We decided to have a many contest so we didn't show what we picked out.

Nadine has been teasing me all week. Touching me and kissing my cheek. It did look like we were a couple. A small part of me wanted it but I didn't trust myself not to end up hurting her. I could barely hold myself together, I have no idea how to add another person to the load.

But since she's been teasing me, I got an extra special costume just for her. I got a vintage cigarette girl costume. It came with fishnets, a short burgundy and black dress, a vest and and a matching hat. I got some short black heels to go along with it.

Let's see who'll be the tease today.

It was getting close to the evening. I was in the gym with a few other students helping set up a party for the older kids while the babies went trick or treating. I helped make signs with Karlie. All the boys had to do the heavy lifting and Nadine directed everyone.

"Have you decided how you're asking Jacob to the homecoming," I ask.

She blushes, "I have a few ideas."

"Well, tell me."

"It's not typical that a girl asks a guy to these things but I was thinking we could change that. Stop waiting around for guys to ask us."

I nod, "Okay so, what are you doing?"

"Jacob absolutely adores dogs. He has two so I was thinking I could use them to help me ask. One would lead him to the cafeteria while the other holds a sign I make saying 'prom?'"

She looks over at me. "Does that sound dumb? No, you're right it sounds dumb."

"I didn't say it sounded dumb. I think it's a cute idea."

"Really?"

I nod, "Yeah. How are you going to get the dogs to do that?"

"I've talked to his mom, she said she would help me train them."

"Sounds like you have it all figured out."

"What about you?"

She looks over at Nadine who waves when she sees us. "I have no idea," I say.

"You still have about a week or two. If you want to brainstorm together just let me know."

"Cool. I'll keep that in mind."

We work for almost another hour and finally the gym is ready. It's been completely transformed to look like a dance room in an abandoned mansion.

There was a fake chandelier, dust and cobwebs and even some guards posted in the corners. The drinks and snack table were set and the DJ area as well.

The party starts in about an hour, so I had to get home and get changed. I collected all of my things and walked home. My mom and Carmen were staying home to give out candy.

I slip into the shower and take about ten minutes. I dry my hair first before pulling it up into a neat bun. I lotion down before starting to get dressed. It took a lot longer than I thought it would to get it all together.