Chapter Six - October-Fest

I sat in the gym shivering. I pulled my coat tighter for the fifth time. I hated cold weather. I hate having to put on layers and layers of clothes to be warm. I hate that all the best holidays are during the winter and fall seasons. I hate that cold weather lasts for months.

"Valentina, are you okay?"

Nadine sat beside me. She was dressed in a thin jacket like it didn't feel as if it was forty degrees in here. "I'm cold," I say.

"I love the cold weather."

I look at her in disgust. "Don't tell me you don't like the cold?"

"What's to like?"

She smiles and wraps an arm around me. "Just wait, I'll make you fall in love with the winter time."

"Don't count on it."

"Don't you two look cozy."

Karlie and the boys come and take seats near us. We were about to have an assembly so all the students were gathering in the gym.

"Valentina's cold, just trying to help warm her up," Nadine says.

Karlie gives a knowing smile. I see Cole out of the corner of my eye grimacing. He sits the farthest away from us. Damien warned me about his feelings for Nadine but what was I supposed about to do? Whatever he felt towards her had nothing to do with me.

Damien looks back and winks at me but I only roll my eyes. After everyone was seated in the gym the principal takes her place in the middle with a microphone.

"Good morning students!"

They all respond back. "So, I'm sure most of you know why we're here. Winter is approaching and this town loves the winter."

I groan and Nadine smiles at me. "Our first activity, kicking off the lovely chilly weather, is our annual October-fest."

"Your town has a celebration for everything," I say to Nadine.

"Our town."

"As you know, the last week of October we do a series of activities leading up to Halloween. Starting bright and early Monday morning, is our pie competition. Enjoy the weekend."

The gym is filled with applause and clapping as the students begin to disperse. I could practically feel how excited everyone was. Nadine's arm doesn't leave my shoulder as we walk out with her friends. 

Karlie turns to us, "What are you two about to do?"

Nadine shrugs, "Don't know, why?"

"Well, me and the guys were thinking we'd start the festivities early with a little party."

Nadine raises an eyebrow, "How little is little?"

Karlie shrugs, "You'll have to come and find out. It'll be in the woods by Old Grumpy."

Karlie turns and walks off with the rest of the boys. Nadine steers me away as we be begin walking in the opposite direction.

"Who is Old Grumpy," I ask.

Nadine smiles, "A tree. The bark is so old that it looks like a old grumpy man."

I nod, "Where are we going?"

"Where do you want to go?"

I shrug, "Can we go back to your place?"

She nods, "Absolutely."

Nadine's house is pretty quiet since none of her other family members has made it home. We are greeted by Alpha and Beta though. I help Nadine change their bowls before we retreat to her room.