Chapter Twelve - Therapy Session

Today I was having my first therapy session with Nadine's mom. When I first agreed I didn't expect to be talking to her so soon but Nadine didn't waste anytime. She wanted me to talk to her as soon as possible. I was nervous though and Nadine picked up on it so she took me out of town. We'd left early this morning. 

We drove all the way into a nearby city. It was an hour out but the ride didn't seem as long with Nadine there. We got breakfast, did a little site seeing and were now sitting in a local park. My meeting was in about two hours so we were going to have to head back soon. 

"Are you ready," Nadine ask.

I shrug, "I guess. All I have to do is talk about the deepest and darkest parts of my self. No biggie."

Nadine raises an eyebrow at me. "If you really don't feel comfortable going today than we can go another day."

I shake my head, "No its fine. I can do it."

Nadine turns to face me, propping her leg up on the bench. "If you ever feel like it's too much, we can stop. I won't fight you on it."

I nod. "I got it."

Nadine gently grabs my my arms. "You're probably not doing this for yourself but as some point you're going to have to. You have to want it for yourself."

"I do."

Nadine gives me a soft, lingering kiss on the cheek. "Okay. We have to go now."

Nadine and I make it back just in time. She drops me off at her mom's office and promises she'll be waiting for me when it's over. I walk slower than necessary. I knock lightly on the door hoping she won't hear and I can just say she didn't answer but it doesn't work. 

"Come in."

I turn the knob and open the door. I take a small step in. Nadine's mom stands from her desk and comes over to me. "Hi Valentina, it's good to see you."

"It's good to see you too."

"Please take a seat."

She closes the door and I sit down on the couch. It's really comfortable and helps me relax a little. 

Nadine's mom sits across from me in a chair. She has a notebook and writes something on it before looking up at me. She smiles, "I don't think I've ever properly introduced myself. I'm Margret but most people call me Marg."

"I'm Valentina and my mom and sister call me Val."

"Is it okay if I call you Val? It'll help this not feel as much like therapy."

I shrug. "Sure. If you want to."

"So Val, I don't want to get into the deep stuff today. I want to get to know you. What do you like? What are your interest? What's home life like?"

"I'm not really sure. I have a pretty normal home life I guess. My sister will be off to college soon. My mom is getting a divorce."

"How do those things effect you?"

"The divorce is because of me. My sister is only just now leaving because of me."

"So you blame yourself?"

"How could I not?"

"Do they ever blame you."

"Not out loud."

She nods and then writes in the notebook. "What are you writing?"

"Anything I feel is important. Everything that'll help me understand you better."