Chapter Five - Date?

The end of August. The end of nice warm weather. The end of class being only about getting to know each other. The end of being able to not pay attention and still pass.

I sigh in second period for the third time. I have my second period with Damien. He's his usual dark and brooding self. We don't talk to each other much. We just kind of silently vibe. We both sit in the back and don't pay attention together.

"So what's up with you and Nadine?"

I look over at him. "I'm sorry?"

He rolls his eyes like the question he asked had an obvious answer. In actuality though it didn't. After Nadine confessed her feelings and I decided to not push her away the mood between us was different.

Well, at least it was with me. Nadine was her same annoying self. Although, she did get a little touchy at times. I didn't know how to be around her anymore. Before I could just ignore or insult her but that didn't really feel right.

"Are you two dating or what?"

"No, we're not dating."

"Are you sure?"

"Why are you prying into me and Nadine?"

He shrugs, "Just curious. You should know though that Cole has had his eyes on Nadine since we were in middle school. If he catches wind of you two ... it won't be pretty."

"Damien and Valentina, is there something you would like to share with the class?"

The teacher is glaring at us. I shake my head and Damien gives a thumbs down. "Then stop talking and pay attention. Damien smirks at me and I roll my eyes.

Second and third period mold into each other until I'm sitting at lunch. Nadine sits across from me and talks excitedly about an upcoming party for the town.

"Valentina? Are you even listening to me?"

I look at her, "Sorry, what?"

She shakes her head, "Never mind. Do you want to go on a date with me?"

I choke on the water I'm drinking. "A date?"

"Yes. I take you somewhere where I think you'll enjoy yourself and we go from there."

"Oh ... okay. Yes."

She smiles wide. "Tomorrow. I'll pick you at seven."

She leans over and kisses my cheek and the leaves the cafeteria. I'm left confused and flustered. What just happened?

Saturday afternoon I confront my mom and sister in the living room. I take a seat in our reclining chair. They look at me confused.

"Is everything okay, honey," my mom says.

I fidget nervously. "Val, what's wrong," Carmen ask.

I clear my throat, "Nadine - uhm - she asked me out on a date."

My mom and sister share a look. Next thing I know I'm being dragged out of the house and into a clothing store.

"Did she say where you're going," Carmen ask.

"Or what to wear," mom says next.

"Oh my gosh, what time is she coming?"

"Guys," I call out. The both freeze. "She's coming at seven. I don't know where we're going or what to wear."

"So you have to find the perfect balance of cute and classy. Just in case you do something active or something toned down," Carmen says.

They each begin searching the racks. It was slightly amusing the way they were taking this serious. "We got it," they call out.