Chapter 31

POV: Anita Johnson.

My phone vibrated on the side table as River's name popped up on my screen.

I flipped the phone trying to get back to sleep and it vibrated shortly after.

I finally answered.

"Hey," I mumbled drowsy.

"I'm sorry to interrupt your beauty sleep, I hope I won't cause you eye bags." He laughed ridiculously.

"No worries, what's up River?" I asked concerned.

"Um... It's actually your fault so you gotta suffer the consequences with me. Well the Normans are fighting and breaking plates again. It's been an hour and I'm trying so hard not to snort the coke. I do want to be better but they are not helping me in anyway. I can't think, I can't sleep and I can't leave the house. I promise I want to be better than just a line of coke. I promise you Anita."

"Relax! Breathe..." I replied trying calm him down.

He followed my instructions and breathed to my command. I could hear the frustration in his voice and I appreciated how he reached out to me.

"Tell me something interesting princess." He mumbled calmly.

"Well, got a job at The Scoop and I'm starting tomorrow." I informed.

"No way smartie pants! Congratulations!" He exclaimed.

"You are such a hard worker!" He added making me blush.

"I should probably give you a price for every achievement. You are so focused, I love it. Girl power baby!" He kept speaking and yes I'm acknowledged like I should be.

The conversation carried on for over an hour and I have to say I am hopeful. I believe in River and that he'll get better.

"This is way better than getting high, I get to hear you talk about things you are passionate about? Oh I love it!" He laughed.

"I'm really proud of you River, I really am." I confessed.

"Well I told you, I'll get better for you." He said and I just paused. It was suddenly so hot in this room. I was quiet for a while.

"Looks like the dust has settled, I gotta head back to bed." I finally spoke.

"Yeah it's all cleared now. Um... Thank you princess." He said and I said my goodbye.

I laid there for a while processing everything. There is hope, River will get better.

I wrapped my arms around Kimberly and she gently shoved them away and turned to look the opposite direction. Okay.

* * *

I looked at myself on the one last time and made my way to the kitchen for breakfast. I still cringe over waking up alone in my bed.

"Good morning," I greeted confidently and yeah only the birds replied with chirps and morning songs.

"Take a seat baby," Mom said and I think I'm in trouble.

"Do you think your aunt still talks to her ex husband?" Mom asked.

"I'll take it from there," Aunt Zoey said.

"Darling after everything that asshole did to me, do you think I still talk to him?" Aunt Zoey asked, I tried looking over to Kimberly for answers but she had her face buried on the porridge she constantly stirred.

"Um... No!" I said awkwardly.

"Then why do you talk to this boy, what's his name again?"

"It's associated with water..." Mom said scratching her head.