Chapter One: Starting Up The Club

It was a rainy afternoon at the Boiling Isles, and for every student at Hexide, it was just another dreary day at the school.

But not for Amity Blight and Luz Noceda.

The two girls had started what seemed like an unlikely friendship, or a bond as Amity would brush it off as, and they had been waiting for this day for, well, a while.

Today was the day they would be starting up the Secret Azura Bookclub (or SAB as Luz jokingly called it). And despite Amity's demeanor during class, she was glowing with excitement and anxiously waiting for the afternoon to begin. Luz, on the other hand, was the same joyful self as always but seemed more happier today.

Finally, the bell screamed the toll of the afternoon and the students all walked out of their classrooms. Amity was waiting for Luz so they could secretly walk together to the library in Amity's secret spot for the book club, but Luz just ran right past her. 'Huh,' Amity thought. 'That was odd. We both said that we would walk together...' Amity just brushed the thoughts away, thinking that Luz just needed to grab some stuff at the weird Owl Lady's house. Why Luz continued to live there, Amity had no idea. She had heard odd rumors of what was lurking behind the walls of the Owl House. But she chose not to listen to the rumors.

As Amity continued on her way to the library, she heard the sounds of laughter coming from a classroom. "I can't believe Amity is choosing to spend her time with that human." the familiar voice of Boscha laughed. Amity turned red at the words, but kept moving forward. "So what if I choose to hang out with the human? She's better company than your sorry butt." Amity whispered.

____________________________________

Finally, Amity had made it to the library. She opened the doors and found the place was nearly empty, aside from the librarian putting back the returned books. Amity made her way over to the romance section and pulled the lever to open the door.

When the door had opened, Amity gasped at the sight (and the sounds and the smell) of her secret room. Inside, Luz was drawing up a new light ball with the light spell. Decorated around the room were the light balls floating up towards the ceiling. The room was dimly lit and two bean bag chairs, one in a mint green and the other violet, sat in the center of the room with a striped blue, yellow, and pink weighted blanket folded up next to the mint bean bag. On the desk in the back of the room was a tray with two mugs of what smelled like hot chocolate with a jar of marshmallows right next to the mugs. There was also a radio playing a soft beat that was almost...calming in a way. Luz looked up and grinned. "Hey!" Luz beamed. "Glad you're here! I'm just finishing up the final details and then we can get started okay?" Amity just stood in shock at what the room had turned into. "You...you did this?" Amity sputtered, finally regaining her senses. Luz frowned and looked at Amity again. "Do you not like it?" Luz asked. "NO!" Amity yelled, surprised at her own tone. She closed the door again just in case the librarian heard her. "I like it, I just...I just never thought that you would do something like this. It's just, really nice." Amity smiled shyly. Luz smiled back. "Oh, I'm glad. I just thought, y'know, why not make this a comfortable place y'know?" Amity nodded. 

"So, uh... can I sit down?" Amity asked. Luz giggled, which made something inside of Amity...well she didn't exactly know her heart just started beating really fast. "Of course ya can, ya silly goose! I mean, this is your room after all." Luz laughed. Amity laughed in return and sat down in the mint bean bag. Luz got up from the ground and made her way over to desk. "Do you want some hot chocolate?" She asked. Amity nodded, already sinking into the already cushy bean bag. Luz grabbed a mug and handed it to Amity. "Careful," Luz warned before Amity took a sip. "It's really hot." Amity blew on the steaming cup before taking a small sip. Luz grabbed her own mug of hot chocolate, sprinkling in some tiny marshmallows, before sitting down beside Amity, setting the mug down beside her. "Hold up, just one more thing before we start." Luz said. She lifted up the weighted blanket and wrapped it around the two of them to be cuddled up together. "Woah, this is a really heavy blanket." Amity commented. "Well, it is a weighted blanket. It's supposed to keep you calm and not move as much." Luz replied. "Well, it's...really nice," Amity grinned. Luz grinned and quickly grabbed a book that was sandwiched between the bean bags. "So, are you ready to start?" Luz asked. Amity nodded and the two huddled closer together to read the book together.