Chapter Three: It's Nice To Have A Friend

Although the change of scenery was... jarring to say the least, but Amity found comfort in the fact that Luz was still trying her best to make things comfortable. But of course, Amity was still a tad uncomfortable being in the same house as that...that con witch. 

"Amity? Amity? Are you okay?" Luz asked, waving her hand in front of Amity to get her attention. Amity blinked and shook out of her weird zoned out funk. "Yeah, yeah. I just zoned out a bit." Amity said, looking away from Luz. Luz frowned and closed the book. "Y'know, if you didn't want to read you could've just told me." Luz whispered. Amity jolted at that. "What, Luz, no, I just-" 

"It's okay, you don't have to lie to me. You were looking really uncomfortable anyways." Luz interjected. "I know that us meeting here was a bad idea since we're not that close and Eda is... well Eda. You can just tell me no. I'd be upset but not mad." Luz said, giving Amity a half smile. Amity turned red. Was she messing things up already with Luz? Of course she was, she was a scr- "LUZ! GET YOUR BUTT DOWN HERE! OUR CUSTOMER HAS ARRIVED!" The loud voice of Eda shouted from downstairs. The two girls looked at each other. "I should go." Amity said, getting up and grabbing her things. "Wait, Amity, I-" Luz started but stopped. Amity smiled and left the room. Luz sighed as she collected herself and started to head downstairs. 

_____________________

Amity passed by the witch and two oddly identical twin men, trying not to make eye contact as much as possible. She felt her heart dropped as soon as she exited the threshold of the door. "Come back again soon, hoot hoot." Hooty hooted. Amity sighed and walked off. 

As she walked down the dirt path, she was suddenly confronted by Boscha! "Hey Amity, fancy to see you down this path." Boscha smirked. Amity rolled her eyes and walked right past her. "I'm not in the mood, Boscha." she grumbled. But Boscha wasn't done. "Seems you and the human have gotten really close...close enough to start a book club?" Amity froze. "What-What did you just say?" Amity stammered, her face turning a dark red. "You heard me, Blight." Boscha scowled. "So, you think you're better than us? You feel like you're on top of the world hanging around that disgusting, wretched, ugly-" Amity grabbed Boscha by the wrist. "Don't" Amity growled, squeezing Boscha's wrist and digging her fingernails into her skin. Boscha whimpered as Amity dug into the skin. "You may think you know about us, but truth be told, you're just being more pathetic by throwing around petty insults." Amity said, frowning. A trickle of blood trailed down Boscha's arm. She quickly whipped away from Amity's grasp, holding her bloody wrist. "You wouldn't hurt me." Boscha growled. Amity shrugged. "Maybe, maybe not, but tell anyone of this interaction, and I will." And with those words, Amity turned and walked away, leaving Boscha to stand there with her bloodied wrist.

_________________________

As Amity finally made her way home, she quickly ran up to her room and threw herself upon her bed. 'I just want to be able to talk to Luz, is that all a witch can ask for?' Amity thought to herself. As she curled up onto her bed, she thought about Luz. For whatever reason, she's been on her mind. Why was she so quick to defend her from Boscha? Why did she feel so connected to her? Why did she-? 

Did she?

No...she couldn't be...it can't be...

Was she really falling for Luz?