Chapter 4: (Heart) Breaking

Sorry! This is a VERY short chapter. Needed to build up the background. More to come though! Keep Reading!

Chapter 4: (Heart) Breaking

            Oh… Oh, Oh, Oh, Oppan Gangnam Styles! Heyyyyy, sexay ladyyy! Whoop! Whoop! Gangnam Styles was playing and people were shaking and moving around. I think it’s what they call dancing.

            “Oh my god! I love this song!” Cali gasped and started to dance to the music. I laughed at her ridiculous moves and motioned her to come with me to the refreshment table.

            “So… do you see Mr. Prince Charming aka Austin Drews?” Cali batted her eyelashes at me. I scoffed but considered her question. Where was he? I scanned around the huge gym/dance floor and saw Austin’s wild blond hair in the corner of the room. I hastily told Cali that I was looking for Austin and ran off to find him. He was wearing a white tux with a black tie. My breath hitched as I gasped.

            “May I have this dance?” he offered his hand and I gladly took it. It was “Safe and Sound” by Taylor Swift; the perfect slow song. We glided across the gym, not taking notice of anything around us. We were completely enhanced by each other. At least that’s what I felt.

            I leaned my head against his chest and sighed. I couldn’t imagine a more perfect moment. The song ended and he kissed me on the cheek.

            “I have to go do something. I’ll be right back.” he said. I nodded and I became the lonely girl in the middle of the dance floor.

            “Hallie!” I heard a voice behind me and quickly turned around. I could see Olivia in the back staring at me nervously. She was biting her lip; never a good sign. “Hallie, hey!”  I shifted my gaze to the speaker. Miles. He actually cleaned up nice. His dapper suit was a classic black and his hair was blonde with streaks of black in his Fohawk. “Will you dance with me?” he asked, almost desperately. I smiled half-heartedly. I couldn’t find the heart to say no. I nodded reluctantly and he led me onto the dance floor.

            “Listen, I’m sorry I slapped you, it was totally uncalled for. But, the problem is, I don’t have any feelings for you whatsoever. I’m really sorry, but I love you as a friend, and I’m afraid it can’t be anything more than that.” I explained, trying to make him see my point of view.

            “Yeah. I shouldn’t have kissed you. You’re my friend.” Miles replied. I nodded, happy that he accepted the facts. “But that doesn’t mean I should give up!” Miles exclaimed. He laughed and ran off as the song ended. I shook my head. This was not going to end well. I decided to look for Austin.

            I pushed through several students until I made it to the back exit. I pushed the door and a blast of cool air hit my face. I walked into the parking lot as my green stilettos created blisters on my feet. Finally, I spotted him…with Emily McQueen. The cheerleader. Their backs were turned to me so I couldn’t exactly see what they were doing. They were standing next to a blue car. I heard Emily laugh.

            “Stop it, Austin!” Emily squealed. I scoffed, disgusted. Emily is so fake. She made the cheerleading squad because her father wanted to sue. Anger built up inside me. I was not going to lose Austin to that no-brainer poopface.

            I stormed into the parking lot and took a deep breath. I need to knock some sense into him.

            ‘Austin Dr---“A car whooshed past my face, almost knocking me to the ground. I quickly stabilized myself and advanced towards the Austin and Emily.

            Austin said something to Emily and walked towards me.

            “Hey, Hallie.” he said.

            “What are you doing?” I asked, my eyes looking at Emily’s ugly-as-hell pink ball gown.

            “I’m breaking up with you, if we were ever together, which we weren’t.” Austin replied simply.

            “What? How could you be so calm about this? You asked me out and now 5 seconds after our date you dump me?” I half-yelled, unable to control my emotions.

            “I know, but Emily is just special, you know?” Austin breathed, his eyes becoming dreamy. I scoffed and smirked.

            “Maybe, after your date, he found out what you were really like.” Emily put in, stepping closer to Austin and intertwining her fingers with his. Austin looked guilty but I hastily ran back towards the gym without saying a word. A tear slipped down my cheek and I swallowed the urge to cry.

            “Hey! What’s wrong?” Cali enquired, seeing my slightly wet cheeks.

            “Let’s go.” I sniffled. Cali led me back to her car and made me explain everything. I burst into tears after I told her.

            “There, there, it’s ok.” Cali comforted. I shook my head.

            “No, it’s not. How could I be such a fool?” I asked. Cali smiled grimly.

            “I think I should probably stay over at your house.” She presumed. I gratefully nodded. I totally needed something to get my mind off of Austin.