Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder: Part 5

(A/N) I couldn't find an exact date for Tony's death, so I used the same number as his birth.

"Hey, do you want me to come over today?" Peter asked as I stopped at my locker. "I want to make sure you'll be alright."

"I'm actually going to visit Mr. Stark to tell him about what happened," I replied with a small sigh. "I haven't really talked to him since the whole thing ended."

"Are you sure, Kate? I can come with you if you want."

"No, it's alright Peter," I replied as we walked toward the exit of the school. "I'll call you if I need something, okay?"

"Alright, Kate," Peter replied as we got to the sidewalk. He pulled me into a tight hug, then pressed our foreheads together. We smiled at one another, then shared a gentle kiss. He broke off down the sidewalk one way as I broke off the other. "I love you!" He shouted over his shoulder.

I laughed a bit with a small wave. "I love you too, you dork!"

He smiled and walked down the street with his hands in his pockets after putting his earbuds in. I turned and walked the opposite way. My phone vibrated in my pocket, making me pull it out as I walked.

Dad
Where are you?

Kate
I'm going to visit Mr. Stark for a while. Tell him what's been going on.

Something up?

Dad
Just wanted to make sure you were okay. I'm going to schedule you an appointment to get you a prescription.

Kate
For the PTSD? I didn't know I needed medicine to get better.

Dad
I'll explain it later, it's just in case. I want you to get better. I know it's hard, especially for someone your age.

Kate
Okay, I'll be home later.

Dad
See you then. Call me if you need anything. Love you

Kate
Love you too dad

I sighed softly and slipped my phone back into my pocket as I reached the gate. I gently opened it, then closed it behind me. I walked through slowly, stopping only when I found what I was looking for.

Here lies Tony Stark
May 29, 1970 - October 29, 2023
One of the greatest men of our time
And a true friend

I took in a deep breath as I sat in front of his grave. "Sorry I didn't bring you any flowers, Mr. Stark," I said with a small laugh. "I guess I just wanted to come and talk to you. I'm sure you've been watching us, but I figured I could tell you what's going on.

"Peter's doing fine, I guess. He misses you a lot though, you were like a father to him. He cried a lot when he found out you were gone... I haven't really heard from the other avengers at all, my dad and I aren't in the loop, but I figure they're mourning. Dad did go talk to Miss Potts though, and she was really upset. She said you were so noble, but she wished you didn't have to die. I think we all wish that.

"You know Mr. Stark, I think a lot of people took you for granted. You were always just kind of there, you know? Like a base or support for all of us. I realize now that was a heavy weight to carry on your shoulders. I'm really sorry that you went through that and I understand now why you were so closed off emotionally. You were such a great man but nobody really understood that. Miss Potts did, and I know a few of the avengers got to know you like Mr. Banner. I just wish the world knew you that way.

"I came to talk to you cause, well, I miss you. I know we didn't know one another for too awful long, but you really made an impact in my life. Without you, or your guidance after my father disintegrated, I don't think I would've ever gotten to where I am today." I took a deep breath.

"Mr. Stark, I know you probably can't help me, and that's okay, but I just wanted to tell you... I've been having nightmares recently. Ones about the whole Thanos scenario. My dad says it's PTSD and is helping me through it and Peter is too. I only wish you were here too, because I know you've had PTSD. Or at least, I figured you must've at some point. I want to know how you got through it. Such awful memories and nightmares...

"You know, I had a dream last night about Thanos again. But this one was so vivid and so real that I thought it was reality when I woke up. In it, you, dad, and Peter were brutally murdered because I couldn't choose one of you to kill. You were really noble and told me to choose you, but I couldn't. I didn't have the heart to kill any of you, because you're the three people who I love the most and who have the most influence on my life," I said, wiping tears off my cheeks.

"Honestly, Mr. Stark, I don't think I ever told you how much I loved you and how much you've influenced me. You were like that crazy father in law that everyone couldn't help but love even though he's a jerk sometimes." I laughed weakly through my tears. "But like I said, I understand why. And truly Mr. Stark, I love you like a second father and I know Peter does too. And my dad respects you a lot for what you did." I sniffed, wiping away more tears.

"I wish you were still here, Mr. Stark. But I guess it's a tragedy that open people's eyes, not good fortune. Good fortune makes people turn a blind eye to what they could take advantage of. Like people say, you often times don't know what you have until it's gone. And Mr. Stark, I'm really sorry for everything I ever said or did that might've hurt you in any way, because you're a good man. I wish you were still here to talk to. I miss you... we all do... Maybe I'll come back again to talk some other time. Goodbye, Mr. Stark."

I let out a shaky sigh as I stood, wiping my eyes. I walked slowly down the path and to the cemetery gate, looking back at his stone once more, then opening the gate and closing it behind me, walking down the sidewalk in the direction I'd come from just an hour earlier. "Goodbye, Mr. Stark..." I whispered as I walked away.