Chapter 19*

M/n slipped on his mask, covering his entire face as he climbed out of the window sill. "M/n--"

The male lifted a hand, not wanting to hear anything at the moment. He closed his eyes and took a deep breath before opening them again. He shot a web and swung away, ahead of the others. The others gave each other a look before following after him. 

Miles watched as M/n's figure disappeared in the distance, his tears pricking the corners of his eyes. He held them back and attempted to move around the room to find something to cut the webs. He grunted as he tried to use his own strength to rip them.

He was interrupted by the sound of knocking. "Miles."

He turned around and started rolling towards the door. "Uh... Miles? It's your dad..."

He moved back a little when he realized it was his father who was behind the door. "Please, open the door."

His father looked down, seeing a shadow move from under the door. "Miles, I can see your shadow movin' around."

Miles decided to sit still after his father said that. "Yeah, okay. I get it, I get it. You're still ignoring me..."

He looked down at the ground when his father said those words. But they trailed back up and toward the door when the man had spoken up again.

"Look, can we talk for a minute?" Jeff swallowed back the lump in his throat, looking down at the floor. "Something... Something happened to--"

He couldn't. He took off his hat, feeling the pain squeeze tightly in his chest. Miles began to feel that pain in his chest as well. Though, there was more weighing him down than before.

"Look. Sometimes... people drift apart, Miles," Jeff said, his voice cracking. "And I don't want that to happen to us, okay...?"

Jeff looked down at the hat in his hands. "I know I don't always do what you need me to do or say what you need me to say, but... I see this spark in you! It-- It's amazing...! It's why I push you, but... But it's yours. Whatever you choose to do with it, you'll be great."

It was quiet now. Miles had gotten closer to the door, resting his head against it, taking in what his father had said. Jeff placed his hand against the door, waiting to see if Miles would open the door. But, it didn't. "Look, call me when you can. Okay? I love you. You don't have to say it back, though."

Miles wanted to say something, but he couldn't. Jeff sighed and put his hat back on as he walked away. His heavy footsteps slowly faded the farther he got. Once he couldn't hear them, Miles rolled back with the chair slowly. He knew he had to do something. 

Although he felt useless, he knew he couldn't give up so easily. He thought for a second before looking up with determination. There was an almost lightning-like blue that shone in his eyes. The blue lightning coursed through his body and to his arms.

He used his hands and gripped onto the web just above them. He shut his eyes, waiting for the impact. The webs around him exploded, covering the room in them. The chair he had been on was now thrown back by the force and now laid still on the floor. 

He stood up from the ground and looked down at his hands. They were emitting blue light through his veins. He grew determined. Whether the others liked it or not, he was going to be the one to shut off the machine.

Just then, his roommate had gotten up. He gasped as he shot up on the bed. He adjusted his glasses and looked at the web-covered room. Figuring he must still be dreaming, he flopped back onto the bed, going back to sleep. Miles' invisibility began to wear off, revealing himself. A smirk made its way onto his face.