Chapter Four

By the time the sun came up the next morning, my eyes were wide open and my mind confused. The whole night, I kept wondering what it would be like, if it was even a date or just a casual lunch between two old friends. Two old friends. Friends. I hated that word but even more I hated the meaning of it. 

    I was fifteen minutes from being picked up and I was still in my robe, my hair half wet and water dripping on the carpet whilst I threw my clothes on the floor, one by one. I was stressed and had absolutely nothing to wear. I walked up to my bed and covered my face with my hands. Suddenly, I heard a knock on the door. I panicked. I ran around the room dumping my clothes back into the closet rapidly. Trying to get rid of the mess.

    "Umm... who is it?" I yelled trying to get myself under control.

    "It's me, Rahul" a deep voice called out. Though something was off about the voice. Rahul didn't sound like that. Then it hit me. Sydney. It was her, messing around with me. I stomped my way to the door and opened it with a blast only to find Sydney laughing her eyes out. 

    "Seriously, Sydney? That is not funny!"

    "Oh god, that was hilarious, have you seen your face?Looks like you have just come out of a horror movie. hahahaha" She laughed her way inside. I peeked out to make sure no one saw that and popped my head back in to continue dealing with my chaotic mess. 

    "Sydney, stop laughing already. And help me out here please, I have nothing to wear and Rahul will be here any minute." I pleaded.

    "Aww. Well, don't fear, Sydney is here." She pulled out a box from a plastic bag and handed it to me. I took it, and carefully opened it revealing the most amazing red velvet dress with a white belt. It was beautiful, and I was speechless. I ran and hugged Sydney as tight as I could. 

    "Sydney oh my god, it's gorgeous. Thank you so much" 

    "Oh well I'm glad you like it. Now go try it on will you" I rushed back into my messy closet and got prepared for one of the weirdest events of my life. 

    Rahul took me to a Chinese restaurant just five blocks away from my dorm. It was clearly not a date. For a moment, there was nothing but silence between the two of us.

    "You look great by the way"  He suddenly said.

    "Thanks, you don't look bad yourself. " He smiled. But there was something off about him. He was never this quiet, ever. So I decided to investigate.

    "So what's up with you today? Pretty silent, and the Rahul Bhatia that I know has always talked quite a lot. So what is it?"

    "Oh, just nothing, don't worry"

    "Oh come on Bhatia, you can't fool me. Now spit it out."

    "Trust me, you don't want to know. I'm pretty sure your going to hate me when you find out" Now that didn't sound that good. It was scaring me, but I wanted to find out.

    "Hey, your my friend remember? I could never hate you" 

    "You say that now-"

    "Just tell me already" I blurted. Getting slightly pissed off.

    "Um... Well do you know Michaela Scott by any chance?" He stammered. 

    "Yeah, she is in my econ class, why?" And she is the most popular and not to mention richest person in campus I thought to myself. Michaela Scott was the daughter of Peter Evergreen Scott, one of the richest people in the whole of Canada. He owned half the country. When he first moved to Vancouver, he was just an ordinary banker, but years later, around the year 2006 he boosted up and was promoted to one of the top posts in business history and as his popularity grew, so did his profits. Later in the year 2008, Edward Lecram, the most famous author, publisher and poet of Vancouver wrote a book about him titled, The Success of Peter Evergreen Scott. When I first arrived at UBC and found out that the daughter of Mr Evergreen Scott was in my campus, I was completely excited to be friends with her. However as soon as I saw her, I knew that being friends with her would be like high school all over again. The popular girl and the ordinary girl never get along.