Chapter 4

They wandered around the library that the apparent institution had for those who were readers. Zhavia didn't seem to understand why they were here in the first place anyways. There was barely anyone inside. The hefty hall filled with endless rows of books and books was tranquil. Not much went on here. But that wasn't the reason why she was lost in thoughts. Zhavia still couldn't comprehend on why they were here. Gabriel finally came to a halt and sat down on a table with books carelessly laid on the table. There was a swiveling chair opposite him and he gestured for her to sit down. Without a word, she followed his hand and sat down quietly observing her surroundings.

Still and silent, Gabriel did the opposite. Rather than looking at what was around him, he was staring intensely at Zhavia. As if sensing the remarkable hazel eyes that were shooting lasers straight at her, Zhavia's pastoral eyes diverted to look into his. Neither of them said a word as seconds, minutes passed by. Eventually, Gabriel cleared his throat and finally broke the silence.

"What do you know about the book?" He asked.

Furrowing her eyebrows, Zhavia answered, "I don't know what you're talking about".

"You know exactly what I'm talking about. What do you know about this book?" He pulled out a book from a bag that was beside him on the floor. Then it clicked to her. The book that she read the other night. The history book that talked about the mental institution was right before her very sight. She didn't say a word after recognizing the book.

"Who are you working for?"

"I'm not working for anyone. I don't see why you would even think that".

"This book. I found it in your room the day you arrived on that night, but I didn't say anything. Then I came back into your room whilst you was escorted by Li to go to the White room, to find that it was still lying there on the floor. So I took it".

"Okay. Now I know you're possibly working for someone", she said crossing her arms over her chest.

Sighing, Gabriel propped his forearms on his knees and looked fixedly towards the girl opposite him, "Who are you working for?" He queried.

"I don't work for anyone", she said in a more harsher tone making Gabriel raise an eyebrow, "I'm telling the truth. I've lost all memories and have been left with small pointless information".

"You could be lying", he said leaning back into his chair.

"Everything I'm telling you is the truth, I swear".

For a moment, Gabriel nearly left himself to believe that maybe Zhavia didn't know much at all and that she wasn't working for anyone; that she was telling the truth the whole time. However, he till had doubts about her and Zhavia could sense it. She felt it. The concerning suspicions. She wasn't at all surprised that he felt this way. Randomly coming out of nowhere and finally trying to settle herself in the Domestic Department, asking unusual questions about the institution, this wasn't normal. It was a peculiar situation. Even so, she was determined to win his mind over so that he could trust her. By doing this, she knew that Gabriel would- in due time- tell her what he knew. But this wasn't going to flow as easily as she processed this in her head.

"I'm going to ask for the last time and if I still get the same response... What do you know about the book and who are you working for?" he pressured

Rolling her eyes, Zhavia leaned forward so that their faces were merely inches away from each other, "I. Don't. Know. Anything", she said through gritted teeth, making Gabriel mumble a few expletive words.

"So you know nothing?"

"I just answered that question like how many times?" She puffed out before leaning back into the chair.