Chapter 10

Most of the afternoon was spent going around in different restaurants in the Hub, trying out new food and some of Gabriel's favorite meals and desserts. Zhavia had a taste of what Gabriel was like. He wasn't all that tough. Every time they had an argument, she always had something smart to say that would shut him up completely. When things were silent between them, Gabriel would clear his throat and change the subject.

She realized that Gabriel was amusing when he didn't get what he want. They entered a restaurant and he politely asked one of his dearest cooks if he could have two paella's for him only. The cook, Ms Bolivar, was truly hurt by how he asked her that instead, she gave two full plates to Zhavia who was satisfied with her cooking and inquired whether she'd be able to come back and learn some new recipes from her.

Gabriel Peyton was an overprotective man, though. He was assigned to make sure she was protected and that's what he did. He did his job well. For instance, when they were walking down a long corridor that led them to the front entrance of the institution, they were eating a chocolate caramel ice cream. It was one of Gabriel's most favored ice creams, Zhavia noted.

There seemed to have been a dirty tissue paper laying on the floor that Zhavia didn't recognize because she was too hooked on the divine, luscious, fusion of flavors bursting into her mouth. Her eyes rolled to the back of her head as she close them, experiencing a tang of chocolate and caramel.

Just before she was going to take another step, Gabriel yanked her arm towards him, causing her to almost drop her cone of ice cream. She was alarmed by the action and hit Gabriel on the side of his body to give him a piece of her mind. A hushed grunt came out of his mouth as he glared down at her dainty physique.

"What was that for?" He grumbled.

"I nearly dropped my ice cream on the floor", she snarled and continued to walk to the door.

"There was tissue on the floor. You would've fell", he followed her.

"I honestly just care about my ice cream at the moment".

"Food isn't everything you know".

"Food isn't what? Are you insane? Why am I even asking that question, of course you are!" Zhavia yelled out loud; the heads of other security guards snapped towards them. Quickly she shied away and walked behind Gabriel.

The conversation was brief and finally Gabriel finished talking to them. Both of them walked out of the institution without a word. Fresh, gentle breeze hit their faces as the walked down a vast stoned isle. There was a rustling sound of the leaves in the trees. Birds were chirping far into the distance and the sky was clear as the sunset made its wondrous appearance.

"Where are we going?"

~Fifteen Minutes Later~

Gabriel and Zhavia walked for what seemed like forever and Zhavia's legs were beginning to tire out. She kept complaining along the way to wherever they were going, that she needed some water to drink and a bowl of chocolate and caramel ice cream. Plus a whole meal of Ms Bolivar's Paella.

Eventually, they arrived at their destination. They were standing in front of an immense lake. It looked fairly familiar to the lake that Zhavia went to at the beginning of the week. But, she didn't dare act like she knew where she was because she was afraid of bringing back cold memories.

"So here we are", Gabriel spread his long arms apart signalling the lake.

The tarnished lake was as tarnished as the last time she saw it. However, there was something about it that made it beautiful. The glistening of the water, sparkling across the lake; the sun beaming down on it as if it were a mirror. And the soft movement of the murky lake. Everything about the lake was tranquil yet turbid.