-sixteen-

"Mommy, why did you lock hyung up in his room?"

His mother simply crouched down to his level and petted his head, her glossy lips curling into an innocent smile. She didn't seem to care about her other son whom she punished almost all the time due to his bad behavior.

"He's a bad brother, Namjoonie." She chuckled, looking into Namjoon's teary eyes with no apparent emotion.

It happened all the time. He could barely remember the last time he had seen his older brother. He was sad. Having no one to play with was hard for him. Especially since he and his brother were very close.

"He's not, mommy. Yoongi hyung is nice. Can I see him-"

"No! You can't!" She shrieked, eyes wide open and voice trembling.

She seemed to be terrified of the simple thought. The simple thought of her perfect son being around Yoongi who was nothing but a disgrace in her eyes. She had been trying to fix him, make him as perfect as Namjoon was but no matter how much she struggled, Yoongi wouldn't change. Wouldn't listen.

Wouldn't obey.

She hated him for it. Especially the things he did.

"But I miss-"

"Enough! G-Go back to your room." She cut him off and dismissed him with a brief hand gesture.

Namjoon sobbed quietly, rubbing his eyes with the sleeve of his shirt that Yoongi had given him as a present. He clutched the soft fabric with his small hand and went to his room, passing by Yoongi's in the process.

"I miss you, hyung. Hopefully, we'll see each other soon."

--------

"Where were you?"

Yoongi walked past his parents and younger brother who eyed him suspiciously.

"I asked you something!" His mother spoke through gritted teeth, anger visible on her pale face.

Namjoon simply stepped back, all too familiar with the situation at hand. It wasn't like he could do much anyway. He was a lot weaker than his brother and definitely not strong enough to stand up for him in front of their parents.

Yoongi clicked his tongue, finally turning around to face them, expression void of emotion. He looked wasted and the powerful scent of cigarettes lingering around him was highly noticeable. That only angered their parents more.

"Fuck off. It's none of your damn business." He growled, taking a dangerous step towards his much shorter mother who glared at him despite the situation at hand.

"It is! You're living in my house and I don't tolerate this kind of behavior!"

Namjoon was scared. He had never seen his brother like that before. Not like they saw each other often, but Namjoon could see how unstable Yoongi was. Each time.

Ever since they were children.

Their parents were at fault and he knew it. Yet, he could do nothing.

Yoongi seemed done with the conversation. He flashed Namjoon a brief look before going upstairs to his room, shutting the door with a loud thud.

"Look at him! So ungrateful!

Namjoon lowered his head, feeling hopeless. How could he help his brother? Was there even anything to be done?

"This is why I keep you away from him! He's a disgrace to this damn family!"

-------

Namjoon slammed his hand against the steering wheel, tears threatening to escape his bloodshot eyes. All the memories rushed through his mind, reminding him that he didn't actually hate his older brother.