keep calm, and carry on

the night after i went to Faiths i fell ill again, high fever,on a drip. i was rushed to hospital. all i could feel was pain.... aching, illness. i was swimming between consciousness for about three days. i feel alright now i suppose. i am lying in the hospitals bed, the faint smell of polish mingling with disinfectant tinge my nostrils. i feel weak. Mum is here as usual, teary and desperate. hanging onto my hand. people from school have sent cards and flowers, but none from jodie. when i am sitting up and eating again, mum risks a fifteen minute walk to clear her head, she hasn't left my side for three whole days, except to go to the loo.

"Hey Grace," across the room i can see Harry, loping towards me. i can't help but surpress a smile.

"hey," i smile weakly, and he grins back. he passes me a card and a massive bar of dairy milk. i have to smile properly then, especially when i see his shoes, he has green and yellow laces today, and his hair seems more untidy than ever. he stays and talks to me for a while, until the nurse comes out and he's sent away. i lie in my bed, feeling the drumming of blood in my head, and wondering, am i going to die?

Faith comes several times more, until the hospital has my results. my hands are trembling as they tell me that there is no evidence of more cancer! but of course to keep an eye out and i am to have regular check ups every four days. Smiling happily i get up, i feel light and free. 

"GRACE, GRACE!!" i turn in surprise, Faith is hurtling towards me,a huge smile on her face.

"Hey Faith!" i laugh shaking my head. she grins at me, 

"GUESS WHAT??" she says eyes bright with excitement.

"What?" i say laughing. 

"I've found something thats going to change your whole life, forever."