Forgive, forget, but never regret

i felt nervous to say the least, as i hovered on the doorstep of a little terraced house. the lane and houses had barely changed in three years, it was like stepping back in time, apart from a new coat of paint here and there, or slightly bigger poplar trees lining the pavements, it was much the same as ever. trembling i reach out my hand and knock at the shiny red door. Faith's mother opens it, and her face registers shock then immediate sympathy, then in smooth transition, it turns to a pleasant smile. 

"hello Grace, Faiths in her room, but would you like a drink..." i'm already running upstairs, i see Faiths bedroom, she still has her lilac fairy and her magic rainbow painted on the door. i reach out and turn the handle. she is facing away from me, tapping away on her computer. 

"Um... hello." my voice is barely a whisper, but she hears me.

"Hi. honestly Grace, i don't know why i decided to meet you, here you come moaning about your problems, mine are way worse than yours honestly... your perfect little miss perfe-" She stops in the middle of perfect. she has swivelled around and is staring at me, her eyes wide. 

"Oh Grace... i... I.... I...." she looks near tears herself then.

"Its ok." i whisper.

"I'm so sorry... i had no idea..." she stops, her eyes wide. her voice cracks and she runs to me, throwing her arms around my frail body.

"I am so so so sorry... what i said just now... on the phone..." she falters, tears misting her over her own eyes.

"i'm so sorry, i left you, i rejected you, you have every right to be angry!" i say sadly. she hugs me again, and in that moment, all my happy childhood memories come flooding back, it doesn't matter what happens now, i've got my best friend back, and i am never going to let her go again.