Chapter 3: Nightmares

"Mommy?" I called out as I walked down the hallway. I heard a scream as I felt tears stream down my face

I leaned against the wall and looked around the corner.

BANG BANG.

I stifled a scream and fell back against the wall. My ears were ringing from the gun shots. Tears flowing freely from my eyes.

I looked around the corner as the front door slammed shut to see my mother's lifeless body on the floor.

I woke up and sat up quickly. I whipped the tears away from my cheeks as I tried to steady my breath.

I crawled out of my bed and threw on my hoodie before leaving my room.

As I walked down the hall way I heard someone whisper yell my name. "Valerie?"

I stopped and turned around to see Colby. "Yeah?"

"What are you doing?" Colby asked me.

"Couldn't sleep. I'm heading to the roof," I quietly told him. "What are you doing?"

"I can't sleep," he told me and looked at me for a second. "Have you been crying?"

"Good night Colby." I decided to avoid the question. The less he knows about me the better.

"Wait." He grabbed my wrist and I turned around before yanking my arm away. "Want some company?"

I hugged and shrugged. "Let's go." I turned away again and he followed.

"Here's the roof," I said as we walked out. I shivered as I felt a cold breeze. I climbed onto the ledge and sat down.

Colby joined me on the ledge which surprised me a little.

"Scared of heights?" I asked Colby and looked over to him.

"Nope."

After sitting in silence for a few minutes I spoke up. "So did you talk to Lili yet?"

"Yeah. We actually are going on a date tomorrow," he answered.

"Oh wow. Where?"

"I'm gonna take her to a fancy restaurant."

I smiled at him before looking down. "I think I'm gonna head back to bed," I told him and climbed off the ledge.

I turned around and watched him climb down after me.

"Thanks for sitting with me," I said to him as her walked down the hall.

"Yeah of course. Good night Valerie."

"Good night Colby."