Chapter 1: Chaos

How do I tell a well-structured story when life is absolute chaos? I was born into it. Chaos is all I've known. I mean, you don't exactly have a normal life when your dad is the leader of a gang. Especially when that gang is among the most powerful of gangs in Los Angeles.

"Are you even listening to me Valerie?" My father roared from the doorway of my bedroom.

"Yes sir. Be down in five," I responded while still looking down at my book. I always loved reading. It was a way to escape my reality. Something I wish I could do more of.

Just another meeting. Once I knew my dad was gone I looked up. Okay time to get ready. I fixed my hair and makeup before I slid my boots on. As I ran down stairs I realized I was late. Again.

"Nice of you to finally join us. Everyone this is my second in command, Valerie," my dad said when I walked into the room. I looked around the table and saw many new faces.

"I'm also his daughter," I remarked as I stood next to his chair. I didn't bother sitting down.

I once again looked around the table, keeping a blank look as I tried to read each of them.

There were eight people. A girl with black hair, a guy with bleach blond hair with brown roots, a girl with dark brown hair, a guy with silver and black hair, a buff guy with brown hair in a man bun, a girl with light blue hair, a skinny guy with brown hair that almost had a red tint to it, and finally a guy with brown hair that had blue streaks in it. They were all very attractive people.

I tuned out the rest of the meeting until I heard my name.

"Valerie, Ella, Mike, and Julian will be training all the new members," my father informed everyone. "Cassie and Jake will be with Ella. Corey and Katrina will be with Mike. Reggie and Devyn will be with Julian. Samuel and Cole will be with Valerie."

I looked around at all the new members once again, wondering who was who. I'm sure I would be finding out shortly.

"Everyone to the training room. Alexandria will be getting you into your training groups," my father told us before we all headed into the training room.

"When I call your name step forward and your trainer will bring you over to one of the stations," Alexandria explained to the new members who were lined up. "Samuel and Cole," she called out. The skinny brown haired boy stepped forward with the brown and blue haired boy.

"This way." I motioned for the two boys to follow me. I brought them over to the punching bags.

"People just call me Colby by the way. Not Cole," the brown and blue haired boy informed me.

"I didn't realize I asked." I turned to him and looked him up and down before looking at Samuel. "What about you? What do people call you?"

"Oh uh, Sam," he told me.

"Let's get to work," I ordered.

We worked on kicks before moving onto punches.

"You need to fix your form," I told Colby and stopped him. He sighed and looked at me. I gently grabbed his arm and helped him get into a better position.

"Thanks." He looked at me again and I gave him a small nod before helping Sam.

After we worked on fighting and other things training was over. Everyone was sitting in different place around the room, catching their breath and drinking water.

"Hey," Colby said as he sat down next to me on the floor.

"Hey."

"Your names Valerie right?"

"Yep."

"So tell me about your self," he spoke. No one ever asks about me. I'd like to keep it that way.

"Why?" I asked coldly.

"Why?" He repeated me and let out a short laugh. "I wanna get to know you. Maybe we could be friends."

I rolled my eyes before standing up. "Good luck with that."