one.

O N E

"getting back the pieces"

It's been a week since Jake found out about Oliver and Sophia, and since Sarah broke up with Lewis. They feel crushed and lost, and don't know that the answer is right in front of them...

Sarah's POV

HER WALNUT EYES SCANNED THE NIGHT STREET. Ah, New York, that city that did not rest. Sarah yawned, bored. She was waiting for the action inside a patrol, but she couldn't start without Jake, her partner, who was late. It had been like this several days a week, when Sarah tried to stay awake waiting for him, because he was too busy getting depressed about Sophia. 

Sarah understood, and she already had a considerably long history of attemps to help Jake, but he just needed space. That had been affecting his work as a detective, and therefore Sarah's, as they were partners. 

It was until he would show up, with big dark circles under his oak brown eyes and a haphazard hair, that the fun could begin. Not for Jake, not so much. But it was for Sarah, her dream had always been to be in a car chase. And that day would come true, she only had to wait a few seconds... She looked at her watch, starting to despair. 

Please, Jacob Peralta, hurry up.

She looked at the starry sky, sighing. Come on, come on, come on... she almost choked on her own excitement when she heard the patrol door open. She wasn't surprised to see that Jake was wearing that sloppy, miserable look he'd exhibit for the past few days, but she noticed something new about him. He was smiling. Sarah laughed. Not even a breakup would put Jake down if he had the chance to have an action movie moment.

"About time!" she yelled through curled lips. Sarah couldn't remember another moment where she'd been that happy.

"Sorry," said Jake, trying to comb his hair and fix the collar of his NYPD windbreaker, but he failed terribly. 

"You gotta do something about this," she said, pointing at him. He did look very miserable. Jake blew a raspberry, and Sarah rolled her eyes. "Okay, if you want to stay like that in your first awesome car chase. A real one."

Jake 's eyes shot in Sarah's direction, and she laughed. "Lemme help," she mumbled, and accommodated Jake's curls in a more decent way. She smirked and bit her lip. Before she met Jake, she didn't do that, but it was something she'd picked up from him. "That's better," Sarah nodded, and Jake giggled.

"Thank you kind lady," he said in a british accent.

"Oh, you're welcome, sir," she imitated his accent, and they started chuckling, but Jake then looked at the front and his eyes widened.

"Sarah!" he yelled, pointing at the street. All she saw was the beginning of the adrenaline. Finally! The robbers' cars passed like bullets in front of their eyes, and they both found themselves with their mouths slightly open. Sarah couldn't be more excited. She had a funny feeling in her stomach, she had only felt that way when she had become a detective some years earlier.

"Jake!" said Sarah, and turned on the engine of the patrol.

"Sarah!" Jake repeated in a shriek, as he turned on the siren.

"Jake! Oh my god, it's finally happening!" 

Sarah started the car at full speed, and felt her heart go as fast as the vehicle. A huge smile crossed her face as she drove into the street, and she was able to breathe easy, even if the situation was not appropriate for that. Jake gave small cries of excitement, and took a megaphone from the back seat.