ten.

T E N

"the safe house"

warning: there's some angst and violence, just in case

Sarah's POV

IT WAS REALLY LATE, but she and Jake were at the precinct, surrounded by cops that worked the night shift. They discussed what had happened: the calls, the attack, the threats, the case. It was a lot to process to Sarah. She wasn't sure she wanted to be alone with Jake, trying to survive, locked away from everything else. And Jake seemed to think the same.

The next day, the captain showed them where they were going to stay, a small yet spacious house. It looked comfortable, it had two bedrooms, a wide living room and more, but Sarah knew they weren't gonna use them, that they would have to hide even inside the house.

"Well, this doesn't look so bad..." Jake opined, though he sounded like he wanted to convince himself. 

"Yeah, I mean... we'll get through it," Sarah said.

Holt walked around, his hands behind his back, as if checking every centimeter of the house meticulously. He turned to them.

"Well, this is it, detectives. Are you ready?"

"Yes," they said in unison. 

"And one more thing: I need your phones."

Sarah and Jake exchanged glaces, like they couldn't imagine spending one single second without their phones. And it was kinda true, Sarah thought that at least she was gonna be able to text some other people besides Jake. But now she realized that apparently they would go insane in there.

"What?!" Jake said, disgusted. "Why?"

"Because who sent the threats could trace you by internet or cellular signs," Holt explained. 

"But—"

"Detective, it's necessary. Please, hand them over."

Sarah sighed and gave Holt her phone, and Jake rolled his eyes and reluctantly obeyed too. The captain nodded, satisfied. After a couple of minutes later, Holt gave them some instructions on how to go around the house without being seen, and then he finally left. 

It was then when reality hit Sarah. 

She was trapped there, with Jake. They had left behind some of their fights but they were still really tense, and clearly preferred to be anywhere else. They lay on the floor, like Holt indicated them. The living room was somewhat big, and they kept distance.

"So..." Jake said, looking at the ceiling with his hands on his stomach, "I guess this is how we die."

"Don't say that," Sarah chuckled. 

"Do you wanna... talk about what happened?"

"Um... sure."

Jake cleared his throat. "Well, it's just... I think I overreacted. I don't know why I felt jealous but I shouldn't've. You can have friends and I shouldn't get mad. I mean... we aren't even dating right now. So, I'm sorry. You were right."

Sarah gasped, and smirked teasingly. "Oh my god, did Jake Peralta just say I was right?"

"Yes," Jake rolled his eyes, rubbing his face, "you were."

"Thanks. And, just so we are clear, I wasn't dating him. I just... don't know, he was nice. Besides he had a bakery and he said he could do Rosa and Gina's cake."