eleven.

E L E V E N

"the attack"

warnings: angst and violence

Jake's POV

IT WAS ALREADY LATE WHEN he was woken up by noises that came from the outside. Jake had just fallen asleep, so exhaustion seized him immediately, but then adrenaline. He stood up quickly, his head working as fast as it could, and calld the squad with the only phone in the house.

"Please, asnwer..." he muttered, breathing quickly. 

"Peralta?" Holt finally answered.

"Yes, sir, I think there's somebody here, we need backup," Jake said, his words running over each other. 

"Right away." 

Holt hung up and Jake was about to call the others when he saw Sarah waking up, she was bewildered until she seemed to connect the dots and realize they were under attack. She was startled, and looked at Jake with fear. 

"Shit, shit, shit, shit..." he heard her ranting under her breath, as she got to her feet and looked for her gun. 

Jake grabbed Sarah's shoulders reassuringly and made her look into his eyes, and he noticed she was pale and that she breathed as fast as him. His head was flooded by any possible way that could end in. He already had a plan, though.

"What he fuck do we do?" she whispered.

"Okay, first, calm down..." he lowered his breath so she would imitate him. He smirked. "Well done. Now, I called the squad and they must be coming here already, but we gotta do something meanwhile."

"Yes, we have to go and hide," Sarah said, grabbing Jake's hand to take him upstairs, but he released himself and shook his head.

"No, you have to hide. I'll stay down here."

Sarah frowned, angry, and she gave Jake his gun. She was clearly decided that her plan was better, but they were both stubborn.

"No, Jake, we have to go. You can't take them down by yourself and the squad probably will be here soon. It's not worth the risk."

"It is worth the risk!" they heard more noises, and exchanged terrified looks. Jake could feel how fast his heart was beating. "Listen, Sarah, this isn't negotiable, you have to go and hide upstairs, because it's better if only one of us... gets hurt."

"But—"

"If we go and hide they're gonna check the house and find us anyways," Jake said. Sarah hesitated but gave in after some seconds, and she ran upstairs. 

Jake looked around in the darkness, his hearing sharpening. The attackers seemed to be trying to go inside the house by the windows, though noises came from everywhere. Jake hid behind a counter in the kitchen, hearing some muffled voices arguing, and the sound of weaponry. He hoped Sarah would be fine with his plan, otherwise he would never forgive himself. 

It was only their fourth day there and it was all going great until that moment... what a bad luck he'd got. He stuck to the wall, trying to identify where the assaulters were, but all he could see were shadows and abstract silhouettes. 

He heard a man walking over him and another one going upstairs, as his heart accelerated. 

He charged the man from behind, and hit him over the head with his gun, knocking him unconscious. The man's body fell to his side, but Jake then noticed that he had caught the attention of another man who was now running in his direction. The attacker delivered a blow that Jake dodged and tried to make him slip, but he was very fast.