prologue.

P R O L O G U E

‣ Now Sarah and Jake have been dating for a year and a half. They have great plans for their future, but there are going to be some obstacles in their way...

Third person POV

THEIR LIPS TOUCHED. Jake tightened the way he grabbed Sarah by the waist, and she wrapped her arms around his neck, conveying heat to each other. Sarah's lips were soft, pressing them against Jake's. He embraced her body, breathing heavily. Her fingers ran through his curly hair as she slipped her tongue into his mouth. Jake caressed the back of her head with a gentle touch, they were just in the moment when his phone started ringing.

Sarah separated, disappointed. Jake mumbled an apologize and checked his phone. It was a text from a number he did not recognize, but the name that was mentioned was familiar to him.

'Hey, Jake, it's Iris from the Academy. I know you must not rememember me, but I wanted to tell you that I'm here in New York and, Idk, maybe we could go to some place together and catch up. I hope you're well and you see this.'

Jake gulped. That name didn't exactly make him happy. He and Iris had met at the Police Academy a few years ago, but as soon as they both became detectives, they lost contact. However, Jake sometimes would see her in some conference of the NYPD, but he had never been brave enough to say anything, because they had dated for a year and then broke up. Maybe things could be still awkward between them.

"What is it?" Sarah asked, for she saw how Jake's smile faltered until it vanished and was replaced by a disgusted expression. Since they began to date, it was really weird to see any of the two sad or angry.

"N-nothing," Jake shook his head, nervous. He didn't want to bring up Iris if it was not necessary. He had not told Sarah about her because he practically forgot her, and he had another plans.

See, a week ago, Jake decided he wanted to marry Sarah. 

They were lying on bed, the silence was filled by their laughter. For anybody else, it would have seemed like a normal moment, but something told Jake it was the moment. He realized he wanted to spend the rest of his days with Sarah, because she had the ability to draw a smile on him even when he was down. 

Another factor that had been part of his decision was that Gina had recently asked Rosa to marry her, who accepted. It had been a surprise to everyone, even if they already knew that Rosa and Gina had been dating for a year. And Jake wanted to try his luck too.

"You look a little pale," Sarah got him out of his thoughts. She was a detective too, and a good one. It was going to be hard to keep the secret, but Jake did not need something in that moment to make him hesitate about proposing to her. 

"I'm okay," Jake lied. Sarah was not convinced, though she was not going to push him. They had agreed to keep no secrets, so if he said that he was okay, Sarah trusted him.

"Well.... where were we?" she said, smiling and getting closer to him, but Jake shook his head, gulping.

"I think we should go to bed," he yawned, faking exhaustion. 

"Are you really tired? It's like ten pm."

"Yeah, it's just that I got a case that is driving me insane..."

Sarah tilted her head and rested it on the couch, smirking weakly. "Okay, then," she stroked Jake's curls. He nodded and stood up, then pulling Sarah off the sofa and hugging her as they walked over to their room in their now shared apartment. The city that never sleeps was not nosiy for the night, the wind speaking quietly.