seven.

S E V E N

"the first threats"

Jake's POV

HE THOUGHT HE COULDN'T be more alone just when he saw two familiar faces in the bar. Gina and Rosa spotted him, and apparently they didn't notice that his expression told that he didn't need company, for they started walking toward him. Jake only stared at his beer, which was still full, and didn't acknowledge them.

At work, they had acted the same childish way: first, Jake tried to talk to Gina and ask for advice, but she said she couldn't talk to him. She did the same twenty minutes later, and again ten minutes later... and when Jake tried to talk to Rosa she was cold and short. They made sure that his day was hell. 

If they were there to make it worse... with that in mind, Jake tried to stand up, but Rosa didn't let him. 

"We're here to apologize," she said. Even if her words were a little reassuring, her tone was tough.

They sat down on the booth, Gina smiled and rubbed Jake's shoulder, but he didn't feel comfortable being there with them. Maybe he was better alone, knowing that next day he could do another attempt to talk to them. 

"I'm guessing Sarah told you about Iris," he muttered. 

"Yup," Gina said, nodding, "but we realized that it's kinda unfair to treat you like this."

"She said that... Deacon talked to her tonight," Rosa seemed to have trouble saying Iris's last name. "Sarah thought you sent her."

Jake rolled his eyes. "I didn't. I told her to stay away at first but she said she wanted to tell Sarah that it was all her fault."

"Was it?" Rosa asked. Jake scowled, skeptical. 

"Of course it was. I was drunk!" 

"I'm assuming that's the reason of why you look like you wanna stay sober now," Rosa said. Jake looked down at his still full beer bottle, shrugging. "We know you're having a hard time right now, and that you don't deserve any of this, but you should give Sarah some time." 

"Yeah... she isn't ever gonna give me a second chance."

"Not with that attitude she isn't," Gina intervened. "Hold onto hope. Sarah will understand."

"But what if she doesn't?" Jake said, sinking on his seat. "What if we never..." he didn't finish his sentence, for his throat was knotted. 

He had never cried in front of Gina or Rosa, and they'd known each other for a long time. But this time he couldn't help it, he felt too weak, he felt as though everything inside him was just collapsing. He looked down so they wouldn't see him cry, but they noticed immediately.

"Hey, man..." Gina got closer to him, and put an arm around his shoulders. He felt helpless. Pathetic. 

"Jake, don't..." Rosa sighed. "We want you to be happy. It's not enjoyable to see you like this. Besides, I have the title of emotional mess in the precinct, alright? So you're gonna have to keep it together."

Jake barely smirked at the joke, as Gina rubbed his back. At least he'd got those two friends back. Rosa pushed his bottle in his direction.

"Wanna drink until you forget it?"

"Not really, but... I don't have anything else to do tonight," Jake said, taking a sip from his beer.