Chapter Seventeen

Sly

The sun was bright overhead as we loaded up the cart. While other party-goers were still sleeping off the last night's wine, I loaded the trunks while the wagon was being set up for the horses. The same old woman, a devotee to Bliss that Panther trusted immensely, would be driving everyone back home.

"Those look heavy, need a hand?"

I nearly dropped the basket in my arms as I glared up at the increasingly irritating boy who kept showing up. Bricker had managed to sneak his way back into the palace and was now sitting on the driver's bench. "Bricker, what are you even doing here?"

"Just keeping an eye on things." Mid-sentence, he moved his head to follow the path of a passing maid and he waggled his eyebrows at her, eliciting a fit of giggles. 

 I had come to find out about Bricker is he has a serious side when he is concentrating on a job, and a playful side when he's breathing. Turning back my way, he gave me a wink, something the men in my life couldn't seem to stop doing. I quietly resolved to punch the next person who winked at me. Hopefully, it would be Davery.

"An eye on things indeed." Panther shot him a scolding look. "If I gave you a copper bit to watch the road and not the Muses would that work?"

"Yes, ma'am that would do it." Bricker saluted the Muses in turn, then faced forward, blatantly scouting the courtyard.

Panther snorted, turning back to gathering the Muses and getting them loaded in with the last of the supplies. With a grunt, I loaded the basket I'd been carrying, giving one last look to the courtyard around us.

Panther chose to leave early enough that most of the nobility that had been invited to stay at the palace were still sleeping off the wine, so we were one of the only carts outside the stables. Sweeping the area for any last things of note, my eyes drifted upward to the large library windows where I ran into the prince. His words were concerning, but I'd pass them on to Davery. Attention was an uncomfortable feeling for me, but I'd certainly gotten it this past three days.

Finally done, the cart was taken back and unloaded at Panther's house. The entire ride I let my mind wander through the halls of the palace, remembering what twists and turns I could, and playing back the faces of the nobles whose names now sat safely in the book. The ride was quiet all around, everyone was too sleepy for boisterous conversation, even the twins. At least until we had arrived, the horses rubbed down, and the luggage put away. 

"Salysta," Panther called her over. "This is for you." She placed two silver bits in my palm.

"What's this?" I asked.

"Your share, you did work for it. I wanted to give it to you earlier but Orchid said you'd just slip it in our luggage." Panther laughed at I glared behind her at my so-called friend slipping into the house. Turning back with a sigh, I smiled for Panther.

"Thank you." I probably would have snuck it somewhere on the cart if I got the chance. At least I could use the money to help more of Swamp.

"Well, I know we will be resting today. Are you going home?" Panther asked.

"I guess, I need to talk to Davery. It's kind of complicated." Panther had reminded me of what was to come, and my stomach knotted up.

"I'm not sure what's wrong, but good luck Salysta." Panther patted my shoulder and went into the house. Letting out a slow breath, I steeled myself for the walk home where I would have to unload every moment of the festival to my brother in meticulous detail.

~

Davery sat at the table in our rented space. He didn't speak for a long time, just stared intently at me. I had waited at the inn for him for hours, a little annoyed that this urgent task of his wasn't urgent enough to wait around to hear about.