Chapter Twenty Six

Sly

I didn't care at this point if I was thrown in the dungeons for the rest of my days, as long as I found Rorik and knew Davery had gotten him his bloody map. The curst wretched map that Grethan had killed over. What did Grethan even want with it? Where did he even fit into this mess anyway?

    It was getting dark earlier and though the fifth bell rang only a while ago the light began to grow dim. I rose higher and higher up the cliff to the palace as the ripples of water played in the last rays of the day's sun. My legs burned as the gates, polished and grand atop a city of mud, came into view. I stopped in front of the guards, looking a bit wild with my bare feet and the strands of hair escaping their pins. Whatever work the muses had done on me for the burning ceremony was now undone. The stocky guard on the left eyed me suspiciously. It was probably the dress. I may look disheveled but I was still dressed for a high station in life.

    "Where is Guard Captain Pettypiece?" I demanded with all the authority I could muster.

    "Not here. You'll have to come back tomorrow," replied the senior guard.

    "Let me in, it's important," I ordered, glaring at them.

    "What family name, miss?" the guard on the right asked.

I didn't answer at first. Tears pricked at the corners of my eyes, blurring everything as I began to laugh. "None. I've no family left, and I'm no one of consequence."

The guards, unsure how to respond looked uneasily at each other. I didn't bother arguing further. I simply put my slippers on and began the slow walk down to Lights district. Turning just before the road curved away and took the view of the gates with it, I spun around and cupped my hands at my mouth. "You're probably why he's dead now, you prick!"

If the guards knew I was yelling at a royal I'd be in shackles by now, halfway to the floating cages with a rag stuffed in my traitorous mouth. But apart from exchanging one last look between them, the guards didn't make a move as I turned back down the path.

    The night air was bitterly cold. I wished I had just kept Jexa's coat. Watching my feet more than I watched the road ahead, I was mildly surprised to hear lapping water. Looking up I found myself near the lake, the nicer end of the lake. Eating houses, taverns, gambling dens with people flowing in and out. Lights flickered in windows and at doors. None of the people around here had holes or patches on clothing and many of them seemed to have jewelry. Stones and pearls that would feed a family for weeks, if not months. I knew little of the value of gems beyond which ones the butcher would trade the best cuts of meat for if I stole them.

The extravagance next to the cesspools of the city would never cease to amaze me. I leaned up against the side of a shopfront that was closed for the night and just watched the people. It was probably around the seventh bell of the evening. Still early for activity in Lights district though I didn't recognize the street I was on. It may even be Green district for all I hadn't paid attention. The road I watched wasn't as traveled, had more stores on it than eating houses, and this time of night many of the shops were closed. There were glimpses of the water between buildings though and the stars were shining overhead.

    My mind wandered through the people I watched, not paying particular attention to anyone. The fact that they were all here and Davery was not burned in my chest. Would burn in my chest forever, probably. The flow of people were slowing down but there were still a few to watch. A child ran homr, a man on a horse turned down another street, an older couple walked hand in hand. I supposed the upper classes could have loved ones too, though I rarely saw a caring side of them. I couldn't even really count the Muses. While they did have some social status and were paid well if they performed like they did for Hunts Festival, they lived in a dorm style house and did their own chores. Any excess money they brought in went to care for their families or to Bliss' temple which then used it to help women and children who needed it anyway. No, it was anyone with a title that I disliked. Sure some probably live up to the truest definition of 'noble' but so many of them didn't and it made me sick of the whole system.