Epilogue

"Addy!" Mei-Lin's impatient voice floated up the stairs, and Addy laughed. She could practically see her best friend tapping her foot and rolling her eyes, complaining to Jay about Addy taking too long.

"I'm coming!" She yelled back down. Addy gathered up her books in her backpack and was about to leave the room when she noticed something different. There was a green envelope on her pillow, with fancy black lettering visible on it from where she was standing.

"Has that been there all this time?" Addy wondered aloud. She picked up the envelope and opened it gingerly. A delicate sheet of stationary was inside, and black, rigid handwriting was evenly lettered on the page.

Dear Addy,

I don't really know how to write letters, and I'm not very good at saying this kind of stuff in person, but I wanted you to have it in writing. I really appreciate you, and I want to make sure you know that. You've done more for me that I think you know, and I don't think I could ever thank you enough for that. Even so, I'll try: thank you so much. Thank you for bumping into me on the train on our very first day, because if you hadn't, I don't think I'd be here writing this letter to you now. Thank you for being my friend and sticking with me even when I was being a jerk. You helped me realize that I can be better than that, and I'd like to think that I have become better than that. Thank you for reassuring me every time I get nervous, thank you for helping me with my homework, thank you for everything.

Most of all, thank you for still being my friend even after the whole thing in the Dark Forest. I was so shaken by the whole thing and I didn't know what to do, but you helped me realize I didn't have to know. You were there for me, and that was more than enough. You helped me forgive myself.

I suppose I should end this letter now, but I don't really know how to do that, so... I'll see you later!

-Draco

There were tears in my eyes when she finished reading the letter, but Addy noticed that there was still something in the envelope. She turned it upside down, and a sapphire ring fell out of it and onto her pillow. She was confused when she picked it up, but a smile broke onto her face when she read the engravings on the inner side of the band:

'No magic whatsoever - for my favorite witch in the world '