∘₊✧ 🎂 ✧₊∘

|| · · ─────── ·𖥸· ─────── · · ||

May 11. You know the drill.

|| · · ─────── ·𖥸· ─────── · · ||

"Happy Birthday dear, Aesop. Happy Birthday to you!"

The large gathering cheered gleefully as the final note to their song ended. From survivors to hunters, almost everyone was huddling around the timid embalmer. Emma, a dainty gardener, shuffled out from the crowd. She cheered.

"Finally! Let's cut the cake-"
"Now now, Emma."

Emily, the survivors' doctor, reminded the other. Her reassuring gleam greeted Emma's stumped look.

" Ahhhh I almost forgot! Make a wish, Carl!"

Aesop smiled. He then closed his eyes, his hands clasped together, and tried his best not for anyone to hear a word. After a moment of silence, Carl blew out the candles.

· · ─────── · ·

The young embalmer was in the Manor's conservatory now. Though he did enjoy the party others had thrown for him, Aesop would much rather stay on the sidelines and watch them have their fun.

Besides, he was waiting for someone - someone very significant to him.

He chose a quiet corner to rest. On Carl's right, bright shades of roses paraded their golden beauty amongst their lush bed, while on his left, a filling dessert plate flooded with strawberry cake, red velvet cupcakes, eclairs, and almond macarons. He lounged back, savoring each bite in his small sanctuary.

Suddenly, a sharp knock caught Aesop's attention.

Aesop turned his head. Warm pairs of cerulean irises welcomed him outside.

"Le plus cher."

He gasped quietly, signaling the other to come.

"Hello, little dove."

Eli beamed and strode towards Carl, hands hidden behind his back when he kissed the younger male.

"Where were you?" Aesop whined. "I was waiting."

"I'm sorry I left you waiting, dear." He paused, one palm drawn out to caress Carl's rosy cheeks. "But I have something special for you."

"Something special?"

The embalmer's gray irises sparkled with joy as he heard the statement.

"Mhm!" Eli whispered. "Now close your eyes~"

Scarlet hues flushed all over Aesop. What kind of present is it? And why is Eli so insistent on him closing his eyes? Nervousness grew inside Aesop's mind. Still, he complied and followed suit.

A slight weight bore down onto Carl's lap. Its rustling sound and rounded edges accompanied with soothing floral scents. He knitted his brows, trying to decipher what it was.

"The wrapping isn't the best but-" Eli mumbled, "but I hope you like it, dove."

Aesop opened his eyes. Below him was a bouquet of lavender and baby's breath, and a medium-sized box; both clumsily enveloped in white gift wrap.

Never had Eli seen his partner like this. The young male's pearly irises widened, his lips parted out, face mixed with an array of emotions - unable to read what was going on inside his mind.

Carl gazed at the flowers, tears delicately streaming over his face with voice shaky and mellow.

"All... All of this for me?" He sniffled, "Eli, I...I don't know what to say."

Worry wrote all over Eli's face. Had he done something wrong? What if he had been too ignorant to not understand Aesop? Or even worse, had his gift triggered a hurtful event? His brows furrowed. Eli quickly kneeled down in front of his lover, hands wiping away each droplet.

"Please, dearest.... Please forgive me. I didn't mean-"

"No, you did nothing wrong Eli," The weeping male quietly reassured. Though his eyes still pricked with tears, Aesop smiled brightly. "It's just that, this is the first ever gift I have ever received and.... And I was so happy."

Having admitted that, the embalmer hid his flushing face in embarrassment. That has got to be the dumbest reason to cry both men ever heard, even Carl himself was ashamed of that overreaction.

Yet surprisingly, Aesop felt a tight embrace from the other. Eli sighed through his laughter.

"And I was scared that I made you sad! Gods, now I feel like an idiot!"

He couldn't help but giggle at his lover's whine and hugged back.

"We're both idiots."

After their cherish, the seer moved to sit beside Aesop, not forgetting to place the unattended desserts on his lap. Eli noted.

"You haven't opened the other gift yet."

"I will now."

The embalmer reassured. He picked up the box, examined its appearance, untied the soft blue ribbon, and opened his gift.

It was a chocolate box. Each piece lined neatly across a piece of parchment.

"I know you have a sweet tooth," his lover chuckled, "so I asked Ms. Mary to teach me how to make chocolates for you."

"Oh? Tell me more."

"Well, we'll be here tomorrow if I keep talking."

Aesop giggled and leaned in to Eli. He wrapped the male's arm around his shoulder.

"I like hearing you talk, Clark."

Just that, the pair sat there for hours on end. Eli rambling about his mishaps and how he had landed on the Bloody Queen's chase-and-eliminate-first list, while Aesop listened intently, ever so often snacking on the desserts.

"Happy birthday, Aesop." The diviner yawned as he pulled his lover closer. It seems they've talked themselves tired.

"Thank you so much, Eli."

Carl flashed a sleepy smile. Then, he dozed off. Perhaps his birthday is really worth celebrating.