Chapter 27

Me and My Nemesis 
(the final blow...?)

***

I jumped on the first platform, that thankfully remained motionless. I now checked again the maze, with the platforms that would periodically jump up and down from the surface. The one just in front of me seemed to be an intact one as well. I stepped on it cautiously. The second after I laid my second foot on it, I felt it suddenly going down, dragging me with it. Thankfully, I could hurry and jump on the next stepping stone, that remained immobilized. Now, that was a close call. I sighed of relief. I then took another deep breath. I turned my head to the side. In front of me were two separated paths : left and right. Both seemed to bring me only deeper into the maze. But it was impossible to figure out where precisely into the cave, because of the steaming heat that was rising within the volcanic cave. I shrugged. Either way, it was now time to take a decision. And I made the decision to go left. I jumped from one platform to the other, avoiding staying too long on those that moved. They seemed to be much quicker than the previous ones. Actually, the more I advanced in this maze, the more there were split paths, with platforms that seemed to be moving at the speed of light. Some of them don't even seem to exist (a mirage, perhaps ?). I wiped the sweat on my forehead. Damn, this place sure was hot, despite me having to cool down thanks to my magic. I turned my head and decided to go to the right this time. I started to jump from one platform to the other, until I suddenly felt myself slipping, while I was in the middle of a jump. I tripped, but thankfully got enough advance to push myself in front, then caught the edge of the platform with my hammer. I grabbed it with my other hand, now climbing up with my full strengh. I then managed to be on the surface, now lying on my back. I could get on a motionless platform, allowing time for me to catch back my breath. I was panting. Again, that was a close call.

Gotta be careful in the future, I thought while standing up and dusting off my clothes. I took back my hammer then thought.
How would I be able to reach the center with such certitude, while I already have difficulty spotting one platform to the other, due to the progressing heat of the cave ?
Seemingly confused by the brisk of the moment, I jumped on a random direction, until I was able to feel back my body that was getting cramps from the overwherlming heath. I looked around again. An opening, which was leading to a tunnel. On the floor, an odd doodle of a path engraved with a pebble... the one I engraved. I heaved a sigh.

''Sweet, back at the beginning,'' I grunted before sitting down, groping my knees against my chest. I looked at the doodle another time. I took a moment to think... perhaps should I do another one, to make sure it was leading to the center. 
Thus what I did. I engraved another little maze, as if I was doing a mental scheme of how I would be able to cross the real one. I imagined all the possible scenarios, going to the point I would imagine myself falling into the lava, even though I wished it wouldn't happen.

At last, there came a scheme. I peeked at it a last time, before I return back to the platform, and jumped back on the first platform. Gee, it's still getting hotter each second I come in, I thought before sumoning some ice, but considering that I was in the right middle of the volcano, it melted right away. It actually was so warm, it almost melted and turned into gaz. I could manage to throw the remaining droplets on my face, refreshing it. I sighed delightfully. I then focussed back on the path, then jumped from one platform to the other, a last time, while avoiding the fastest of them. The temparature steadily rose up again. 

This time, I better not fuck up, I thought  while crossing a path on my left.
Then, at last. To my relief, through the heated haze from the lava lake, I saw a row of platforms rising up from the surface, forming stairs. I jumped on the first one. Then, a low rumble. The platform beneath me shook slightly. I thankfully got enough guts to jump straight to the next one. It was falling in the lava. The second one shook too. That's where I understood : I better had to hurry up before I end down there with them. I braced myself, doing a series of jumping hurdles, till I jumped to the last one. I climbed up to the surface. I looked behind me. The starting point from where I began was now far from my reach. This was where I realized, with big relief, that I finally made it to the main island. I pumped my fists in the air. But enough with celebrations now. Something serious was happening on this one place.