[21]

a/n: this is quite a quick chapter !! sorry ! thank u to the new readers i've been getting recently, btw !
also also alsoooo- to my current readers- i went back and edited the story a little bit, so if you see some changes, it's because i've had to correct some things for accuracy reasons.
(also, i've had to change frank's dad's name in this fic to avoid confuuuusion)

-

Frank's POV

-

"I haven't seen you doing much studying, Frank. What's been going on?" my mom says sternly, straightening the cross necklace around her neck.

"I don't know, Mom. Sorry." I'm sat on the sofa opposite my parents, who are glaring at me furiously.

"You've been seeing your friends, haven't you? Sneaking out, hm?" she questions, folding her arms.

"No! I- I haven't seen him in two weeks- we had an argument!" I protest.

"What? Seen who?"

I kick myself in the ankle, realizing what I've just said.

"Nobody- I haven't seen anyone. I didn't mean that..."

My dad sits up. "Frank, I think your mother and I would like a proper explanation as to what's been going on here."

"I didn't mean to say that." I try to laugh off my 'mistake', anxiously. "I meant to say... me and my friend group got into an argument. Nothing too bad."

"I don't think that's a good enough answer. Who's this boy you were just referring to? Why do you not want us to find out who he is?" My mother stands up, almost looming over me.

"A friend of mine." I lie.

"And what did you two get into an argument then, Frankie?"

"Don't call me that," I spit. "It was nothing- he just started saying some weird stuff about how I should 'wake up', and that he loves me and-"

I didn't mean for that to slip out.

I didn't fucking mean for that to slip out.

"What did you just say?" my dad scowls.

"No, you've got it wrong, I-"

"I won't hesitate to take you to the pastor, son. He'll correct you. You know how we feel about this." He retaliates.

"No, please, let me explain!"

"I don't think we need an explanation here, do we, John?"

"Shut up! Both of you!" I stamp my foot against the floor in order to grab their attention, "I meant- I meant that we got into an argument... because he told me he loves me. I- I said I don't support that... because it's against my beliefs."

The lies that come out of my mouth feel dirty and reckless. I don't want to hide mine and Gerard's relationship this way.

"Really?" My mom smiles.

"Really. Now- I need to get some air- I- I think."

"Go on. We're proud of you for doing the right thing, Frank."

-

I sit on the bench in the graveyard, my jaw clenched, my fists balled tight. I seethe with anger to the point of tears. Why didn't I tell them the truth? Why did I have to lie that way?

I just want Gerard back, at this point. I don't care what he said to me. I just wish I could turn back on the way I got mad at him; on all of his countless unread messages and calls I never picked up in some stupid act of temper.

I keep practicing how I want to apologize to him inside my head, going over the phrases I know I need to say, imaginarily highlighting them.

"Gee- I'm so sorry about what I said to you. I don't know why I acted like that. I don't really know what you were trying to say, but maybe we both made a mistake," I'd say to him, pleadingly. "I just want to know what was going on, but it's okay if you don't have an explanation. I- I don't have one either. I was horrible to you, and for what? Nothing. I shouldn't have been so harsh."

I abruptly feel a tap on the shoulder; a hand running through my hair; someone slipping my fingers in with theirs.

But nobody's there.

It's just me and the wind.

"I miss you," a familiar voice mutters in my ear.

"What the fuck? Is that you, Gerard?" I turn around. I'm still completely alone, though.

"Baby, please- I don't know if I can do this anymore."