Transition Hell

Dirk didn't adore being gendered at birth. He definitely didn't like being gendered as a girl. Dirk sighed, shimmying into the binder, staring at his chest. Why did everyone think he was a female? Just because he had boobs and a selectively 'female' anatomy didn't mean shit. Everyone, his teachers, his family (besides Bro), even his friends only called him female pronouns and used his 'more feminine' name. "Delilah." Dirk hated the name, despised it, Dirk wanted the name to be non-existent and to disappear, with all the mis-gendering and strange looks. The only few people who called him Dirk were his online friends. Jane, Roxy, and Jake actually cared enough (or in Jake's case was ignorant enough) to call him male pronouns. Whenever he talked to them, Dirk smiled. It was nice to see his identity finally correct after years.

Dirk had other problems too. When he crushed on his best friend, even though it was useless. When he thought about Jake late at night, staring at the ceiling, listening to sad heartbroken playlists on 8tracks. Singing to himself in the shower Regina Spektor and The Script. Being a lovesick fool who knew his feelings would never be reciprocated by his best friend. It was hard.

He wished it would all be over soon. He hated being mis-gendered. He hated having a crush, what used to make him feel light was now weighing on him and dragging him into an ocean of despair. Dirk was so tired and emotionally drained he didn't want to talk anymore. The words kept echoing over in his head, a constant downward spiral of repeat. It was Jake, that ignorant dick had said, "We could even date. If you were a girl."