The Wings

"Karkat, you need to get over here, like now!" John's panicked voice echoes through the phone. Karkat's heart raced like buffalo being hunted by lions.

"Shit, whats going on?" He screeches into the phone.

"Just come, its," he whispers the next part, "its Dave. He's in the Skaia General Hospital, the Derse Wing, okay?"

Shit. Dave. He just proposed, why the hell is he in the hospital?

"I'm coming, got it." Karkat states as he skids down the hall, grabbing a coat and keys. He dashes out the door, a cheetah, and runs down the steps of the apartment building like a madman. He hangs up on John and haphazardly stuffs his phone in his pocket. Nodding to the doorman, Karkat runs to his car. After a short ride to SGH, Karkat bursts into the building.

"Dave Strider?" He questions the woman at the front desk. She frowns.

"I'm sorry? Dave Strider died three years ago in our Derse Wing. Is there anything else I can help you with?"

"No," Karkat shook his head in disbelief, he just saw Dave yesterday. "Thanks anyways." He turned and took his phone out of his pocket.

"John? We need to-" Then he woke up.

///

Karkat awoke abruptly from the dream. His neck ached and butt was sore from slumbering in a hospital waiting chair. The metal was cold to the touch as he looked around and remembered his current situation. Dave was in a car crash, some dumbass was drunk and went head-on into his car. Karkat was waiting for him to recover, which was unlikely, the doctor said he only had three days left. Karkat frowned as his reality was forced back upon him, with all the force of a great typhoon. The waves of reality crashed onto the shores of his mind, the little crevices being filled with an overwhelming sense of dread. He frowned and saw Dave looking over at him.

"Hey Kitkat." Dave smiled weakly. There were no words from the Cancer as he hugged Dave like a teddy bear.

"Hey-hey no killing fragile cargo here." He smirked, Karkat's eyes started watering.

"We were engaged Strider, now you go and get yourself- yourself a death wound! I need you! Why does everything and everyone I love always die? We were engaged-" Karkat trails off to a whisper. Dave stares at him, without his shades, red irises meet brownish yellow ones.

"Karkitten, I am not leaving you, I'll be right here. Just you and me okay? Like the good old days, you and me." He smiled reassuringly at the concerned boy. Karkat has tears swell in his eyes.

"Godammit Dave! Just when I thought we'd never let go, I have to screw it all up." Karkat groans.

"No, it ain't your fault Karkit, you're good, you're beautiful and adorable and I'm so sleepy." Karkat cried at those words.

"Don't leave me Dave! Strider don't you dare," He sobbed at his fiancé. "Don't you dare leave me without you." Dave smiled bitterly.

"I'm sorry this didn't work out Kitkat. I didn't mean to leave you. Sorry," Dave's eyes began to close, "Love you Kitkat."

"I love you too, Dave. Don't leave me please. I was wishing you and me would end up together. But now-" Dave's eyes were already closed.

//humanstuck! yes ill write a follow up, so please request a pairing or character!!-pseudo//