Part 6

Peeta

The all too familiar sounds of my family's usual routine wakes me up bright and early. They travel up into the room I once called my own, now full of things from my family and my old belongings. I have been here since Madge kicked me out of our house, leaving me no choice but to return to the place I have always hated, despite calling it home. Living with Madge had been no bed of roses but at least it was better than waking up to mum's rolling pin in some part of my body if I'd failed to wake up before she did.

I get up and go downstairs. Before I know it, Ava grabs my arm and pushes me to another room.

"You are a freaking moron!"She whispers sharply as she locks the room's - which I've just noticed is Dad's office - door. She then releases my arm and sits on Dad's chair "How could you get a fight with her?! She's the freaking Mayor's daughter, for gosh sake!"

"She was being a nasty brat" I defended myself. She just rolls her eyes.

"What did you do?" She asks as if she hadn't listened to what I've just said.

"What?"

"What. Did. You. Do?" She repeats.

"I asked about children again, and she... you know. Then she kicked me out. Now I'm here. That's it." I explain.

She looks me up and down with a glare. "Something else happened though, didn't it?" She asks.

I scoff. "No, nothing. Come on, we'll be late." I say.

"Not that brat, Peeta. Someone else. You're.... Different.. Infatuated... Oh My God.. Did you go out with someone else? After fighting with the Mayor's daughter?! And married!? Peeta, who is it?" She says.

"It wasn't... Ava... it's none of your business, what I may or may not have done. Drop it, okay? Nothing happened this weekend," I replied and sighed. "Nothing but a mess..."

Ava gave my hand a squeeze. "Well, whatever the heck you did, forget them. She's going to come around here again, you know. Tell her that your caveman selfishness got the best of you. Beg for her forgiveness—and don't talk about kids, Peeta. Seriously, that girl is probably going to give Mom and Dad beautiful children, but turn out as God awful as her. You've spent a lot of your life on hold because of what happened with Mom. Stop hiding and be a man. Stand up to her!"

I smiled at my sister's mock-aggravation. "You really hate her, don't you?"

"I really don't—," Ava answered as her eyes lowered to the ground. "I want it to be someone else, but I doubt our family will let you leave her now. And not as the Mayor's daughter..."

"Me, too," I agreed and we left the room.

"Come on, we should get to work.." She says with a sigh.

We both went silent as we strolled arm in arm. Katniss came into my mind, as we were walking.

I missed her—it had been only a month since we had left the cabin but my mind and heart felt empty without her. I realized that I had forgotten that there was a time when I had not woken up with her pressed close to my heart and not in my dreams.

And, I hated it.

Ava inhaled sharply as we made it at the Bakery. "A fresh start... Just.. try to fix this. If she does come, you know. K?"

I put an arm around her and we went inside. I tried not to hold my breath that Madge wouldn't stop by. I braced myself whenever the door opened to hear some yelling from Madge or the Mayor. The stress keeps me from doing much, and my Mom realizes my lack of focus. She sends me to the back portion and cuts the dough. Ava comes back and nods for me to open the door. I give her a confused look.