ᴛʜɪʀᴛᴇᴇɴ: *cue dramatic music*

"Seeing her laying there isn't what hurt me

"Seeing her laying there isn't what hurt me. It's that I could do nothing to stop it."

_____

I slowly opened my eyes, immediately feeling tons of pain. I could faintly hear sirens, but I wasn't sure if they were coming closer or going further. 

Man, movies are great at making explosions look fun. This certainly wasn't. 

I was stuck laying on the ground, looking straight up into the dark sky. Had I really been in there that long? I had either been unconscious in there for a long time, or I'm just bad at keeping track of time. 

A bright light suddenly appeared above me as I looked straight up. Was I finally dying? Took long enough.

"Miss? Are you alright?" a man with very soothing voice spoke. I furrowed my eyebrows and brought my arm up to cover the light.

"Uh... yeah? I think?" to be completely honest, I wasn't completely sure if my body was in worse condition than it seemed. There was still the possibility that there would be permanent damage. 

The man motioned for other people to come towards him. Two people carefully put me onto a stretcher, allowing me to see what was going on. There were tons of police officers around the area and a few ambulances. 

I guess they expected more people than there were. 

I was put into the back of the ambulance, and I finally looked down at myself. I was completely covered in dirt and ashes, along with quite a few scratches and one deep cut along my thigh. It could've been worse I guess.

The doors of the ambulance closed and I let myself relax.

_____

"Y/N? Oh my god, you look like shit," I turned to the door of the hospital room and saw my pink haired friend. Behind her and trying to enter the room were Suzue, Daisuke, and Haru.

"Wow, thanks a lot, Hana," I mumbled sarcastically.

"Ignore her. How the hell did you survive an explosion?" Haru asked me while pushing Hana to the side. I guess they all seemed to be getting along.

"It's called being a genius, I guess you can't relate to that," I smiled proudly, but Haru raised an eyebrow at me.

"Last time I checked you were an idiot who hardly made it past high school," he crossed his arms over his chest and walked over to me with the others following behind him.

"You're so mean to me," I pouted. "Suzue, I mean this in the best way possible, but why are you here?"

"I heard what happened so I flew here as fast as possible," she shrugged, as if it was the most obvious thing in the world.

"Y/N... I'm glad you're okay," I finally got a good look at Daisuke and my jaw dropped.

Daisuke with messy hair is a look.

"Thanks. I'm sorry for worrying you guys, I didn't think going to the bathroom could cause so much damage," I sat up straight on my bed, looking them straight in the eyes. I could tell they had all been worried about me with the panicked look in their eyes when they first entered the room.

"Shut up! It's not something that could've been stopped, so don't apologize. Plus, it's not your fault. The only ones we can blame are the ones who did this to you," Hana slapped my arm as she spoke, being careful enough that she didn't hurt me. I did notice that as she spoke, she glanced at Haru. I just hopped nothing major happened.

I smiled slightly at them.

Damn, knowing people care for you is nice.

"Hey, mind if I have a minute alone with Y/N?" the voice of someone I've known my whole life came from the door. Everyone turned around to look at him, two of them glaring. Hana had never liked my brother, and after Haru saw him with Isezaki I'm sure he hates him.

I shooed all my friends out of the room, leaving me with my brother.

"How'd you know I was here?" I asked, moving on the bed so my legs were hanging off the side.

"The hospital called me since I'm your only living relative."

"You're not my only living relative until we find proof that they're no longer alive," I narrowed my eyes slightly at him. It's frustrating having him bring them up all the time, when he knows that they're the whole reason I went down this career path.

"Seriously, Y/N? It's been eight years, I think we both know they're gone for good," I clenched my fists at my side. Having a brother can be so annoying.

_____

My parents had disappeared off the face of the Earth when I was seventeen. I had just woken up one day, and they were gone. 

It had happened before when they would leave, but they always left me a note. Yet this time, there had been nothing. I waited months, expecting their return, but it never came.

Hikaru hadn't been affected very much by their disappearance since he always had a strong hatred for them. I wasn't sure why, even though everyone else I knew seemed to know. Whenever I brought it up, they seemed terrified.

It was like they were threatened to keep quiet.

After those months, I had moved in with Hikaru until I turned eighteen and left for university. I wanted to be a detective in hopes I could find something related to their disappearance. My parents were detectives like me, and were often called some of the best in all of Japan. 

The detectives assigned to find them had all closed the case after four years.

Eight years later and not single thing was found. 

_____

I felt bad for not posting for nearly a week so here's a pretty long chapter. It reveals a little bit of Y/N's past, but there's still more to be revealed. 

I know it seems like there isn't much romance between Y/N and the love interests, but I'm working on some scenes in future chapters. 

When the anime for this comes back, I'll probably stick with the storyline I've created rather than merging it with the anime. 

Thank you for 15k+ reads and 36 followers!

-Ali