Battle of Envy and Greed

I was walking up the steps heading for my next class. It had been a while since I was a student. I had only graduated college two years ago, and funnily enough I worked as a teacher now. Or I did. Trying to think about normal life outside the Devildom was almost dizzying. As I neared the top step I turned into some students gossiping.

"Hey, check it out. That's the human that everyone's been talking about."

I did my best to not make a face. Everyone, why? How did they know I was human. Do I smell weird, or maybe new faces are just rare here? I attempted to walk calmly as if I couldn't hear them.

"Do you think it's true what they say, That Mammon became a babysitter?"

"Well if so, then I'd say that actually works out great, doncha think? If we wait and strike when he's not paying attention, he'll never figure out it was us."

"C'mon, we should devour the human before Beel does."

I felt my blood boil a bit. If they were this loud all the time, all of Devildom would figure it out. As I turned to give them a piece of my mind, a different face met mine, and a cheerful tone sounded in his voice.

"Hey, you, the human with the frightened, tormented look on your face that demons love so much. You're practically screaming, 'Come and eat me! I'm Scrumptious!' Your name's Min, isn't it? This D.D.D here belongs to you, right? I saw you drop it just now."

I blinked dumbly with a suspicious look on my face. When did I? There was no way in hell I dropped it.

"Thank you." I said a bit forcefully as he handed the device to me.

He laughed a bit at my suspicion. "What's with that look? There's no need to be suspicious of me."

"That's what a suspicious person would say." I returned calmly.

"True enough. My name's Solomon. I'm an exchange student from the human world, just like you."

I felt most of my fears instantly melt. An excitement bubbled up in me. Lucifer had mentioned that the other human student had real magic skill and talent.

"Oh shit." I said mostly absently. "I mean-" I offered my hand out to him. "It's nice to meet you."

He took it gently. "It's nice to meet you as well, Min."

"So how did you learn my name?"

He laughed again. "You should be aware, you're a bit of a conversation piece."

We continued to speak a bit longer when he seemed to perk up. "Uh-oh, I'd better get going. See you around, take care of yourself."

He turned and walked away, and in turn I turned to head back to my class. It was Lucifer's voice that caught me next.

"Good Morning, Min. You've become quite the celebrity here, haven't you?"

I nodded to him. "Good morning, Lucifer."

We continued chatting on our way to class.

"Was that Solomon I saw you talking with earlier?" He asked calmly.

I smiled a bit. "Yea, That's right."

"Seeing as you're both human, it's fine if you associate with him, but know that he can't be trusted."

I was a bit shocked to hear that, "Oh-?"

Lucifer nodded to me. "He may be a mere human, but he has a ring imbued with wisdom, and he wields powerful magic. He's the type of man who will try to subjugate even a powerful, greater demon if he gets the chance."