o n e

"Always forgive your enemies - nothing annoys them so much." -Oscar Wilde

◅⁛▻

Lucie Herondale first met Matthew through letters. Of course she had heard of him, their parents growing up together and all, but they had always lived in Idris, and she had always lived in the London Institute. Her older brother James, being a year her senior, had just started at Shadowhunter Academy and was sending her weekly updates about his time there. According to him, Matthew was a wretched, ignorant boy who spent all his time complaining about his circumstance. He was mentioned in every letter she received for months, detailing his latest refusals to do work and hateful comments towards Jamie.

Lucie was already positive she hated this boy.

She hated the way her brother was being teased, how he was singled out because of his appearance. He always told her not to worry about him at the end of every letter, that he was learning loads of stuff and he couldn't wait to be home and tell her all about it.

But one day the letters completely changed. They were still filled to the brim about Matthew, but now they were about all of the wonderful things he did and all of the amusing conversations they had. She was thoroughly confused about this change of events, and when she inquired over his new feelings towards the boy, he just wrote it off as a misunderstanding.

Lucie decided she would not be so quick to love Matthew as Jamie had.

◅⁛▻

The first time Matthew Fairchild met Lucie, he had just gotten himself expelled from Shadowhunter Academy alongside James and was going to live in the institute with him to train since they had just decided to become parabatai. He really wasn't sure if Mr. Herondale was going to bring him along, but he was very glad he did once they heard the explosion back at the school. He was sure he would be seeing Thomas and Christopher sometime in the next few days as they were undoubtedly expelled too.

Did he feel bad about it? No. Not at all.

As soon as they were back at the London Institute, Mr. Herondale (Will, he told Matthew to call him) went to write his mother, the Consul, a letter explaining the situation and that he would be staying here with James. He knew she would be visiting him sometime soon to give him the lecture on being expelled and what not. Tessa greeted them at the doorway, hugging her son fiercely, telling him how much he was missed and how none of it was his fault. When she finally pulled away, she turned to Matthew with a warm smile on her face.

"Hello, Matthew! It is wonderful to see you again. Will briefly told me about your plans to become parabatai? Well Jamie, I think that's just amazing! I'm so glad you finally found friends at the academy. Matthew, how have you been? We've heard a little through Jamie's letters."

This immediately made him nervous. What had James told them in his letters? Had he told them of Matthews actions and remarks from earlier on in the year? He calmed himself and was beginning to charm her with his newest exploits when they all heard a shriek from down the hallway. A bundle of dresses and skirts came running toward them and jumped to hug James.

"Jamie! You're home! I've missed you so much," the girl said. "You would not believe how lonely it can become around here when you're gone."