t h r e e

"An idea that is not dangerous is not worthy of being called an idea at all" -Oscar Wilde

◅⁛▻

The next day, Lucie was absolutely sure James was going to make them late for the picnic at Regent's Park with the other shadowhunter youth. He was in the Institute's kitchen putting all of the items that the cook had laid out for them to take upon Lucie's request. 

"Do hurry, Jamie. I don't want to leave Daisy there by herself for too long, lest she become uncomfortable," she told him. James looked up at her from the picnic basket and let out a small laugh.

"I'm sure she's doing just fine, Luce. Besides, she's easy to get along with, she'll probably have made friends with everybody by the time we get there," he told her, finally picking up the basket and handing it to her. Lucie let out a huff before turning toward the door with her brother in tow.

◅⁛▻

After a ten minute walk and some short-lived conversations, they had finally made it to Regent's Park. Lucie immediately ran up to where Cordelia had set out her things while James took his time, making his way to where his friends sat.

"What did it turn out to be, last night?" Cordelia was asking Lucie. "The demon business in Seven Dials." 

"Shax demons all up and down Monmouth street. They had to call on Ragnor Fell to help glamour the place so the mundanes wouldn't notice what was going on," she replied.

Thomas frowned. "It's odd," he said, "after so long, we encountered that demon the other night, and now yesterday--" 

"You encountered a demon?" Lucie demanded. "When was that?"

"Er," said Thomas, his eyes darting around and landing on James with a questioning look. "I may have been wrong. It may not have been a demon. It may have been a textbook about demons."

"Thomas," said Lucie. "You are the most dreadful liar. I want to know what happened." She looked between all of The Merry Thieves, none of them speaking up.

"You can always get the truth out of Matthew," said James. "You can wheedle anything out of him, you know that, Luce." Her cheeks flushed red and she looked at him exasperatedly. "Where is Matthew?" She asked. James glanced around the lake. "Yes, where is he? Isn't he meant to be coming?" He looked over at Cordelia.

But Cordelia was still furious with him from the night before. Did he really think she would know where Matthew was just because she danced with him last night? After he had abandoned her. She abruptly got up and asked to speak with him in private, to which he agreed, and then they walked away from the rest of the group.

"What is this about?" Asked Christopher, always oblivious to everything around him.

"He left her in the middle of the dance floor to go see Grace Blackthorn, Kit," Anna informed him. "And he deserves whatever she does to him for it, too," she muttered, fixing her cuff.

"Yes, I agree. It was very awful of him," Lucie said. She herself had just realized the night before that Grace was the one James was in love with. But it didn't matter. What he did was terribly rude and he deserved to be told off for it.

"I see Cordelia is returning, but without James. Interesting." said Anna. She was leaning back on her elbows, the sunshine bright on her dark hair.