Chapter Nine

As Abigail stepped out of the carriage, her gaze swept across the grand facade of her residence, a stately mansion nestled amidst sprawling gardens. The servant stationed at the entrance approached her with a respectful bow.

"Miss Abigail," the servant greeted, holding out a sealed envelope. "A letter has arrived for you. It came just moments ago."

Abigail accepted the letter, her curiosity piqued. She recognized Ember's elegant handwriting on the envelope, and her heart quickened with anticipation. "Thank you," she said to the servant, a note of excitement in her voice.

With the letter in her hand, Abigail made her way into the opulent foyer, the grandeur of the surroundings contrasting with the fluttering anticipation in her chest. She sought solace in her private study, a sanctuary where she often retreated to gather her thoughts and reflect.

Closing the door behind her, Abigail settled into a plush armchair, the room bathed in a soft glow from the fireplace. The scent of leather-bound books mingled with the subtle fragrance of freshly cut flowers, creating an atmosphere of tranquility.

With gentle hands, Abigail broke the seal of the envelope, unfolding the delicate parchment. Ember's words leapt off the page, carrying with them a mixture of emotions and longing.

Touched by Ember's invitation to visit, Abigail's lips curled into a smile. She could sense the underlying message, the unspoken plea for her presence during this trying time.

In that moment, Abigail knew that she would heed Ember's call. She would be there for her friend, just as Ember had been there for her countless times before.

After reading Ember's heartfelt letter, Abigail's thoughts turned to the practicalities of the evening. She knew that a good night's rest was essential before embarking on her journey to be by Ember's side. With a sigh of contentment, Abigail summoned her personal maid, Amelia, to assist her in preparing for bed.

A soft knock came at the door, and Amelia entered the room with a gentle smile. "Miss Abigail, how may I be of service?" she asked, her voice filled with warmth and familiarity.

Abigail returned the smile, appreciating Amelia's unwavering loyalty and attentiveness. "Amelia, could you please help me change into my nightgown? I have much to do tomorrow, and a restful night's sleep is in order."

Amelia nodded understandingly and moved gracefully towards Abigail's wardrobe. The room was bathed in the warm glow of a bedside lamp, casting a soft, comforting light as Amelia carefully selected a delicate nightgown, adorned with intricate lace detailing and fine silk fabric.

"Thank you, Amelia," Abigail said, a hint of gratitude in her voice as she began unfastening the buttons of her day attire. She felt a sense of relief as the weight of the day lifted, knowing that soon she would be able to find solace in the comfort of her bed.

With practiced ease, Amelia assisted Abigail in slipping out of her gown, revealing the gentle curves of her figure. As she carefully donned the nightgown, Abigail felt a sense of serenity wash over her.

Amelia's skilled hands worked swiftly, tending to every detail, ensuring Abigail was comfortable and at ease. Once she was dressed in her nightgown, Abigail felt a weight lifted from her shoulders, the physical act of changing symbolizing the transition from the demands of the day to the tranquility of the night.

"Thank you, Amelia," Abigail said again, her voice filled with genuine appreciation. "Your assistance is always invaluable."

Amelia curtsied gracefully, her eyes sparkling with warmth and dedication. "It is my pleasure, Miss Abigail. Please rest well and know that I am here to support you in any way I can."