Chapter 3: A Visit to the Dentist

Charlie and Veruca could not believe what they had heard. Mr Wonka giving them his whole factory? It was like a dream come true for the both of them. Thry looked at each other and smiled before looking at back at Mr Wonka. "Yes." they said in excitement "But what about our families? Are they allowed to come to?" Charlie questioned. Mr Wonka looked startled. He was reminded of his father again, but knowing this little boy and little girl, he knew that their family was important to them. He let out a sigh. "I guess so." Charlie and Veruca at first looked very happy, but saw that Mr Wonka was looking a bit upset. "Mr Wonka, is something wrong?" Veruca asked. She was a bit concerned which was new to her. "Well um--" Mr Wonka started to say. "--I never had a good relationship with my father growing up. He was a very strict dentist and prevented me from eating any sort of candy or chocolate. I wore advanced braces." Veruca gasped and covered her mouth with her hand as Charlie stood next to her." Do you want to go find him? Maybe you two could make up with each other." Charlie suggested. "Good idea. Would it be okay if I went with Charlie and Veruca?" he asked Mr Salt and Grandpa Joe, Mr Salt nodded while Grandpa Joe said "Certainly sir, but bring Charlie back safely." Mr Wonka nodded. He went over to get a textbook, without it, he would not know where his father now lived. "Help me with finding my father's name please, Charlie." and Charlie did so. "What was your father's name Mr Wonka?" "It was Wilbur, Wilbur Wonka." Charlie opened up the textbook and began searching by running his finger down the page. "Wanda, Wendy, Will--" he mumbled. "Ah, here he is. Wilbur Wonka." he said at last as he and Mr Wonka read the details. "Mr Wonka, do you know how to get there from here? Maybe walking perhaps?" Mr Wonka shook his head. "If we tried that, it would take too long. Why don't we try the elevator?" "Alright, but wouldn't it go around the factory only?" "Leave it to me." as Charlie said goodbye to his Grandpa and Veruca her father for now, all three of them entered the elevator as Mr Wonka pushed a button with the words Up & Out next to it. "You know, I think that your daughter likes Charlie." said Grandpa Joe to Mr Salt. "Yeah, and I think that your grandson likes my little Veruca in return." he replied as they both nodded at each of their statements. 

Back in the glass elevator, it was moving faster and faster upwards. "I've been longing to press that button for years now, but never found the perfect opportunity to do so until now." Mr Wonka explained with a smile. Veruca gasped. "You mean we are--" "Yes. Yes we are." it was then that the elevator smashed through the roof of the factory as it went high into the clouds above, Veruca was terrified so she clung onto Charlie in an attempt to calm herself down. As the elevator fell back towards the ground, Mr Wonka then pushed another button and saftey mechanics came out of the side of the roof of the elevator. "It's okay. You can look now little girl." and so Veruca released Charlie and looked away from him yet another blush on her face. They all then looked at the front door to the factory which opened. And then they saw Augustus Gloop, he was covered from head to toe in chocolate. He was with his mother. "Augustus, please. Do not eat your fingers." they heard his mother say. "But I taste so good." Augustus replied. Then they saw Violet and her mother. Violet was doing flips as she was now skinny, but her skin and hair was still blue as the filling of a blueberry pie. "Look mother, I'm much more flexible now." They heard Violet say. They also heard Violet's mother say something in return, but couldn't make it out. Lastly, they saw Mike and his dad, Mike was flatterned out and stretched to be very tall. Nothing was said between them. "I sure hope they will grow up to be better behaved now." Veruca said. "Me too Veruca. Me too. Hey, what's that over there?" Charlie answered and asked as he pointed out a house that was far in the distance. "Ah, that must be it." Mr Wonka said as he put in a command that made the elevator fly towards it and land in a field that was covered by lots of snow. They walked over to the house, Mr Wonka was nervous. "Dr Wilbur Wonka: Dental Practitioner. " Veruca said as she read the sign next to the front door. Charlie knocked on the door. A man with white hair on both his head and face answered, he was also wearing a dentist outfit and glasses. "Do you have an appointment?" he asked. "No, but he's overdue for one." Soon enough, Mr Wonka was in the dentist chair and he was waiting to have his checkup. While this was happening, Charlie and Veruca were standing close to one another and were having a conversation. "Can I ask you something, Charlie?" "Of course." Veruca paused for a moment before asking "Because of how I behaved in the nut sorting room, why have you been so nice to me? After all, i did humiliate all of you with my demands of wanting a squirrel." Charlie at first look startled, "Well um, you see Veruca, as much as I didn't appreciate the way you acted there, I saw that you were miserable inside, like something was tearing you apart to make you ungrateful for everything you received when you knew that deep down, you never wanted all those items, you just said them out of instinct." Veruca looked down, she was tearing up. "You're wrong. The reason why I wanted what I wanted is because I thought that with everything i owned, I was hoping that it would impress some people and lead me to being their friend. I was wrong. Everytime I mentioned about the amount of things I had to the other students at my school, they ignored me completely. So what I am trying to say to you Charlie, is that before I met you, I had no friends." she finished as she shed a tear. Charlie was surprised, "I'm so sorry Veruca." as he put his hand on her face. "It's okay, you didn't know. I'm just glad that we are friends with each other." she smiled a sad smile and they hugged each other both smiling, this made Veruca feel a lot better. "Thank you, Charlie." and she kissed his cheek and they pulled away. Wilbur was then finished sorting out his dental equipment, he was ready to give his son his "overdue" checkup. "Now then, let's see what the damage is, shall we?" Mr Wonka then opened as wide as he could as he father checked for cavities. To his surprise, he found that there was no problems with the teeth at all, so he pulled away almost immediately after his mouth opened in shock and Mr Wonka sat up. "Willy?" his dad asked. "Hi Dad." Mr Wonka said in return. Wilbur then managed to smile. "I can see that you have been taking good care of yourself all these years, son. Your mother would be so proud." Mr Wonka then managed to smile a little bit himself and they hugged each other as Charlie and Veruca looked at each other and then at Mr Wonka and his dad as Charlie put an arm around Veruca and held her quite close to him, Veruca noticed this and liked it that she was still smiling.