New Family

I look around the empty apartment one last time. "Come on y/n!" Dad calls. "Coming!" I run out the front and hop into Dad's truck. I never thought my summer break would be moving to a new town. Dad and I have lived alone since I can remember, but he has been seeing a lovely woman named Tiffany Hills for a while now and we're finally moving in with her and her two daughters who are 12 and 16. I haven't met them yet, but I think Tiffany is great. I'm a little worried to live with a new family as I've been alone all my life.

I fall asleep during the whole car ride, but wake up to Dad announcing we have arrived. I look out the window. Tiffany lives in a cute cottage house, with a massive yard surrounding. Tiffany and her youngest daughter, Holly, come running out to greet us. Tiffany and Dad embrace in a big hug and kiss. "Let's unpack tomorrow, tonight we need to relax and celebrate!" Tiffany exclaims. She shows us around the house. "Y/n, you'll be sharing a room with Heather until we can get a bigger place. But you two are the same age so I know you'll have a ball!" she says. I just hope Heather and I get along.

Tiffany has invited her family and friends over tonight for a BBQ, so we can meet everyone. I'm in the kitchen helping her get the food ready. I go to take one of the salads out when I bump head first into a tall dark haired boy. He grabs the salad before I drop it. "Woah, be careful cutie," he says, laughing, "You must be y/n, I'm Rodrick, I'm a close friend of the Hills' family." I stare at him. He's so different, with his dark scruffy hair, full lips and messy eyeliner. "Uh, nice to meet you," I manage to squeak. This could turn out to be the best summer ever.

I walk outside with him, looking around at the backyard that Tiffany has set up. Music, fairylights and comfy chairs. It feels like home. There's a few teenagers already here, sitting around a little campfire. I notice a stunning blonde girl, wearing a tiny flower print dress. She looks up and her expression turns into a scowl when she looks at me, standing with Rodrick. She skips over and puts her arm around his waist. "You must be y/n! So, I see you've already met Rodrick? My boyfriend?" Rodrick doesn't even look at me. He could've mentioned that before. I try not to act like I care. "It's so nice to meet you Heather," I say, sounding sickly sweet.