chapter 5-The Big Day

Shakthi's pov

I did my usual morning routine followed by a nice, long and a hot shower. It really eased my jumpy nerves. I wrapped the towel around mys body and stepped into the room. I then picked up my wedding saree that was placed on my bed.

After blow drying my hair, I applied my body cream and then wore my underwear.

I started draping my wedding saree.

I let out a frustrated sigh. Managing a silk saree was going to be really tough.

I first wore the blouse which was also in red. It did enhance my complexion. Every girl will apparently want to look best at her wedding and I was no exception.

I wore the petticoat for the saree. Then I slowly tied the saree taking care while making every fold.

After thirty minutes of slowly draping my saree, I was done.

I looked at myself in the mirror.

I had tied it decently enough. It wasn't bad at all. It was close to perfect.

In a few minutes, the person who does the bridal makeover arrived. She listened to me patiently. I didn't want to overdo my makeup. I told her every detail, how it had to be.

It took her one whole hour to complete it. I just couldn't sit patiently in one place. It was too hard for me to sit like that.

I took a look at my reflection in the mirror after she had completed my makeup. She had totally transformed me. I looked beautiful, more than I could ever imagine. It was exactly the way I had asked her to do.

My eyes were neatly kohled and eye lined. She had used a dark red on my inner part of the lids and gold eye shadow on its corners. It looked perfectly elegant. It was not overdone at all. It was just perfect.

My lips were coated with a nice shade of a brick red lipstick, matching my saree and she had used a little blush which covered my cheeks, making it look more natural. My hair was neatly braided with a part of my bangs out. It was perfect.

"You look so beautiful" the beautician shrieked.

"Thank you" I smiled at her.

That was when I saw all my aunts and mom come to my room "Shakthi, you look so pretty!!" mom exclaimed in adoration. Her eyes were filled with love.

All my other aunts complimented my looks. I was hoping they didn't say that to re-assure me.

My mom made me wear all the diamond necklaces, bangles and the earrings.

My hair was filled with jasmine flowers. Then, I had a look at myself in the mirror. I was a complete bride.

By the time I was dressed, it was almost six. I was going to get married in an hour. I was completely anxious.

All my things were carried by my brother. They locked up my room. As I walked down the stairs, memories came flooding down my mind.

Without my knowledge, tears rolled down my cheeks. "Don't cry, baby!!" Tanya, who was walking alongside me, consoled me. She wiped my tears.

"No...It is just that... Just that" I stuttered...

"I understand, sweetheart! Don't spoil your makeover, yea?"

I smiled and nodded. All of us came out of our house. They locked the house while I took my place in the car. It was just a ten minutes' drive to the wedding hall.

My mom, dad, Arun and Tanya were seated in the same car as me.

***

We arrived at the wedding hall and I grasped my mom's hand. She kept whispering that it would all end well and that I could meet them whenever I wanted. It eased my tensed nerves a bit.

I was taken to a room in the wedding hall which was labeled as the bride's room. It was opposite to the groom's room.

All my friends came and surrounded me. They started teasing me. I was extremely exasperated!

"Guys! Just stop it! Please!!" I cried out.

My best friend from high school, Shalini came to my rescue "Guys!! She is having an arranged marriage, for god sake! You are making it tough for her"

I thanked Shalini silently. She acknowledged it and sat near me. "Don't worry, Shakthi! You both are going to rock together"

Has she seen him?

"Did you see him already?" I questioned

She nodded positively "I bet you both are going to look great together" she beamed and pulled me into a tight hug.

"love you!" I told her

"Aww! Love you too" she repeated

In a few moments, I heard a voice "Bring the bride!! It's time already"

I suddenly felt someone touch my shoulder.

"Mom!" I sobbed when I saw her

"Shakthi,calm down, dear. Just relax!" She tried to pacify me.

"It is time. Shall we go??" she asked.

She wiped away my tears. I had a last look at myself in the mirror. Nothing was out of place.

Mom took me out of the room to the stage. There was a huge audience; my relatives and his.

Then my eyes caught Gautham. He was in a silk dhoti (it is men's traditional wear, an unstitched piece of cloth that is wrapped around the waist) and a white silk shirt. He was bright and handsome. He carried the traditional attire so well which made me jealous. His hair was neatly done with the gel, his broad shoulders fit neatly into his shirt and his muscles were visible through his shirt.

As I saw him, he smiled at me and I smiled back.

Then I was made to stand on a small stool that was made of gold, having various mantras inscribed on it and it was only a few inches above the ground.

I stood on it, but even then I didn't match his height, he was way taller. His silvery grey eyes caught mine and it only tensed me up. All our close relatives and friends surrounded us on the stage.

Then my uncle gave me the mala and his uncle gave him his.

We were asked to exchange the mala thrice and we did it as we were told.

There were a few other rituals that were done before the clock struck Seven.

As the clock struck seven, the priest shouted "ketti melam...ketti melam"(it means, the auspicious time has arrived. Tie the sacred thread). The words sent chills down my spine.

I saw Gautham having the sacred thread and he tied the first two knots around my neck as his sister tied the last knot. Uncontrollable tears rolled down my cheeks. I looked at my parents and their eyes were also filled with happy tears. They smiled joyously at me.

"You are married, Shakthi" Shalini whispered in my ears.

Reality hit me hard.

hey guys! i am so sorry..i.couldn't update.yesterday due to wifi problems.

now i hope this chapter was gud.do keep reading,voting and commenting.